Crape Myrtles - just how much sun is enough?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking about planting a Crape Myrtle tree in my "back yard" in the late winter or early Spring. I keep reading this tree requires full sun (which seems to be an absolute minimum of 6 hours a day). But is that really enough for this tree to thrive?

The desired location (in my back yard) would get full sun from sunrise up (until I "think" approximately 3pm) where the obstruction from my house would block full sun and the desired location would then be shade for the remainder of the day. Given these details, it is recommended that I plant a crape myrtle in that desired location in my back yard?

Thanks for any replies.

PS I've already got a Natchez (recently planted) about 15 feet off my house in my "front yard". But since my front yard faces west - I know I'm good with that one. But I think East locations are trickier.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sunrise to 3 PM is well over half a day of sun. It would be enough.
The quality of light is the same in the morning (East) as the afternoon (west).
Thoe only reason why you may sometimes hear that a plant prefers Eastern exposure is because there is less heat build-up when sunlight is received in the cooler morning hours. This should not be a concern with Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica and hybrids).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. From your feedback, it sounds like it will be fine. The desired spot is about 10 feet off my small deck in the back yard. I can't get it out too much farther in the back yard because of drainage issues/concerns. Hopefully, the 10 feet would be enough - not to create too much mess on the deck. I really don't mind small amounts of cleanup on the deck - just not anything really bad as the tree matures. I suppose I just need to think about the size/type of the crape for this location. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All trees create some litter but I don't consider Crepe Myrtle to be especially 'messy'. As it is deciduous, most of the leaf fall will occur in a relatively short span of time. Hopefully you can just sweep leaves off the deck into the bed where they will add to the mulch.

Last edited:

Ask a Question