Crab Apple Scab - or Neglect/Drought?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We had a 'Red Glow' Crab Apple tree planted in our garden by landscapers when we moved in 14 years ago. It's been completely neglected since then. It's in the middle of lawn and for years all fallen leaves and fruit have been sucked up by the lawn mower and disposed of.

It's flowered beautifully every spring, but for years it's only produced a tiny amount of fruit.

This year it's been very dry and the grass all around the area of the tree is brown. By fairly early in the spring I was commenting to my husband that it didn't look very happy - much fewer leaves than usual. We're now into August and it has even less leaves. There aren't many fallen leaves on the grass, but those still on the tree are quite brown. I can only see 2 fruits on the tree.

My research has indicated Scab Apple Crab. With an option to either ignore or use anti-fungal sprays. I'm also considering the possibility that it's a combination of drought and years of starvation!

Any advice welcome. If it's a fungal disease I'm concerned about it spreading to other fruit trees in my garden. The Crab Apple itself is there for ornamental purposed and it would take years to fill the space it occupies.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I also have a tree that has brown spots on the fruit — perhaps someone can help using this picture?

Attachments

• 9F5A6C46-3E5D-448B-AC77-7CA8EE450161.jpeg
    9F5A6C46-3E5D-448B-AC77-7CA8EE450161.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 10

Ask a Question