Can anyone identify this crab apple variety please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
This lovely crab apple tree is in the garden of the house we've just moved into and i've no idea of the variety. It's a single spike - is cordon the correct term? It's about seven feet tall and there are hundreds and hundreds of tiny fruit. I haven't uploaded an image before, so I hope I've got it right - apologies in advance it not.
Thanks for any light anyone can shed on the variety.

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Owdboggy (what a wonderful user name!) - that sounds plausible. The fruits are certainly both very red and flat bottomed! I've never had a red crab apple before. I shall make some jelly from the fruit this weekend - with luck it will turn out to be really jewel coloured.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Owdboggy (what a wonderful user name!) - that sounds plausible. The fruits are certainly both very red and flat bottomed! I've never had a red crab apple before. I shall make some jelly from the fruit this weekend - with luck it will turn out to be really jewel coloured.
And, indeed, you were absolutely right - Laura it is. I saw one in a garden centre on Saturday.

Unfortunately other gardening tasks precluded spending any time in the kitchen at he weekend, but I've now picked a trugful and will be making jelly this evening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to be of help.
I had some of our Crab Apple Jelly on my breakfast toast today. We tend to make it from a mix of various types, John Downie, true wild Crabs and one called Ballerina which gives it a lovely colour.
Remember it is one pint of liquid to a pound of sugar for Jelly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to be of help.
I had some of our Crab Apple Jelly on my breakfast toast today. We tend to make it from a mix of various types, John Downie, true wild Crabs and one called Ballerina which gives it a lovely colour.
Remember it is one pint of liquid to a pound of sugar for Jelly.
Thanks Owdboggy, it's dripping in a jelly bag at the moment. I've turned up a recipe for spiced crab apples which seems to leave them whole - I'll let you know!

Ask a Question