Could this be catnip?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I think I'm growing catnip. But if it's not I'm going to be very very disappointed.
It's growing like crazy fast.
XutdzSg.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Ah that's nice. I've been having doubts since my cats (or any other stray cat) is not reacting to the smell of the leaves, which is very pleasant to be honest! :D
I had a catnip spray and my cats used to like it so I was wondering why they did not like the leaves of the catnip. :(
I wonder if the flower will make a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A lot a mints look very similar (at least to my untrained eye), so it's possible it is not cat nip. Regardless, the bees love mint. That's been my observation, every think mint they love. Bee Balm is a mint. (not saying that's bee balm).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I agree with @roadrunner, there are more than 3000 species of mint and it is definitely one of them, but many look very similar although there are a variety of different fragrances. If it is a young plant the full fragrance might not yet be there. Maybe give it and the cats a little time to decide for sure. Did you grow it from seed? Or did you purchase the plant somewhere? or perhaps it was a gift? If seeds are from a vendor, they should be identified on the packet, or if it was from a nursery the seller should be able to verify. If you know someone who Knows they are growing cat mint for sure perhaps you can get the two plants together and compare fragrances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
If you are growing it for your cat, then you need to grow that on ground or big flat pot.

I don't have any idea about catnip,:rolleyes: but my cat love lemongrass(I guess so) it munch out 1 -2 leaves daily, reducing the grass to just the base.(I now have four bush of lemon grass, one of them in a high rim pot to keep it out of reach)

I think the smell of lemongrass make him sneeze;), he looks quite cute when he sneezes and try to brush his nose with front paw.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes indeed, it's a very large plant family! If it's mint and not catnip it will have a very definite minty odor if you crush a leaf between your fingers.

Spray or dried catnip is much more concentrated than fresh. That may explain why your cats react to the spray and not the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I bought the seeds from eBay (listed as Nepeta Cataria) and they definitely look like catnip. The tallest one is 15 cm (as tall as a smartphone). They're around 3 months old, but recently they began accelerating in growth.

Some leaves don't smell at all while others can be smelled if I stick my nose to them or rub them between my fingers. I have another mint plant that smells like toothpaste, but the 'catnip' has a fragrance I can't describe. Never smelled anything like it before.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it is a young plant the full fragrance might not yet be there.
I agree with @Beverly, I think this is probably what's going on. It can't afford to be eaten right now. :ROFLMAO:
Nature has a way of camouflaging young things until they can take care of themselves. Why not plants?

Ask a Question