Help with catnip please.

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me with this question.

I'll start out by saying that I'm very much a newbie with growing anything and do not have very much gardening experience of any kind so please be patient with me! But I very recently started growing catnip from seed. (A few weeks go.)

Now from what I understand catnip takes a little while to sprout up, and the leaves are heart shaped with scalloped edges.

So within a few days from planting, I had some plants spring up, they do not have the heart shaped leaves, longer stems so far, and the leaf edges are smooth. And then perhaps a week or more later I had more plants sprout up that do have the heart shaped leaves, and they're staying lower to the ground so far.

Obviously the ones with the heart shaped scalloped leaves are indeed catnip, but what about the ones that came up first with smooth leaves? Are they okay, or should I clip them out?

Including photo in case it helps.
Also in case it helps, they're planted in planters, in potting soil, seed was purchased in a packet from the store, Ferry-Morse.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• catnip.jpg
    catnip.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 413
Reaction score
Hi SilverWordz - I too would agree - that your young plants do indeed look very much like young catnip plants and think that the alien living amongst them is in fact a weed - which is more likely to have sprung up from the potting soil rather than to have originated from the seed packet.

As to me your alien plant looks very much like a weed rather than a malformed catnip plant - I would suggest removing it - especially as you haven't got much to lose by doing so - as you already look to be sure of getting an abundance of catnip :)

Reaction score
I agree. It's definitely a weed or 'wildflower' of some sort. I used to grow a lot of herbs, and would periodically see those smooth edged leaves. I let one grown out and discovered that it was indeed a wildflower. I'd yank it out. Looks like you have a healthy start to your plants. Happy growing!

Ask a Question