Best way to grow Catnip buds for your cat

Reaction score
I bought a small catnip plant at petsmart today.

Im going to transplant it into a big pot and leave it outside in the sun and when I come home at night Im going to put it under a small light in my house.

Im doing this because I want it to have tons of light so it can grow fast. My cat is very old and I dont know how much longer she will be alive. I want it to grow big and have plenty of flowers/buds for her

I was thinking I could let it get big and if it doesnt flower than I could try to do the 12 hours of light on and 12 hours off to try to get it to flower?

Should I buy one of these cheap plant light bulbs for it? http://www.lampsplus.com/products/60-watt-a19-plant-grow-light-bulb__y8064.html Or is a regular light bulb the same?

I dont have money to buy the expensive high powered lights for plants.

I had a catnip plant but it died so I need to have a big one quick!

Im trying to find the best soil conditions and how I can clone it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think you're overdoing things here. Where do you live? What season are you experiencing? Unless you're in winter or the heat of summer, you don't need to do any of that. Just water the plant and let it do it's thing; it will spread and bloom in no time, but you don't have to wait for it to flower for your cat to enjoy it.

Reaction score
Cats love the leaves as well as the buds so don't be surprised if your cat goes for the plant. A sunny spot and catnip will do well inside as long as the cat can't get to it. Give it Miracle Gro at least once a week when watering it and it will pop buds quicker.

Reaction score
I planted some cat grass in a planter just and it grew really fast and it was thick and lush. I couldn't keep my cats off of planter they would roll in it and eat it. It was really easy to grow just some water and sunlight made it grow really fast. You might want to try this.

Ask a Question