Catnip

j.w

Reaction score
So I went to Lowes garden dept today and asked the girl in that dept at the register if they ever sell any catnip plants? She says yes but only in warmer weather so I say, guess I'll go check and see if ya have any catnip seeds to sell here. So I come back w/ the seeds I found and there is another different girl there at the register and she looks at the seeds and says " are those for your cat?" and I say yes and she says"ya know those plants are bad for your cats as they can cause stomach ulcers and she suggests I go to Fred Meyers, which is a different store down the road aways and buy some stuff called wheat grass for cats instead. So I said ok then I guess I won't buy the catnip seeds. So Lowes just lost a sale and now I look on the internet and can't find a thing about cats getting ulcers from catnip. What I found was that even humans can drink a tea using catnip and it is supposed to be good for reflex or stomach problems. Anybody know anything about this stuff causing ulcers in cats?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree jw, nothing on harming cats I might grow it and rub it on self to get rid of mosquitos, cept we don't have many since the build of the pond.

Catnip is not harmful to your cat. They won't overdose on it. Most cats know when they've had enough & will refuse any further offers.

Interestingly, researchers say that nepetalactone is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitos than DEET, which is the active ingredient in most insect repellents. It was also discovered that catnip repels cockroaches too!* Plants aren't alone in containing nepetalactone, some insects & ants also contain it. It's been speculated that this protects them from insects.

Rats & mice are also believed to have a strong dislike of catnip & will avoid places where it grows.

j.w

Reaction score
Addy, I've heard that it's good for repelling skeeters but didn't know about it repelling mice. CE better put some in her new toaster,lol!

I heard that it spreads like mint tmann and if I planted any I would put it in its own spot far away from any other garden plants. I might just get the wheat grass stuff instead for the cats as it is supposed to be good for them.

Reaction score
I love my mint !!! I heard it repels fleas also. I was thinking of planting it along the fence on the neighbors side that has 16 cats and 3 dogs ... lol

When I had my cat, he loved catnip !!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stuck some in the pond too, just love the smell of it, if it grows to much I just yank it out

Reaction score
I have it in one spot, next to the Bio filter. It does get invasive, but very easy to pull out if it goes where I don't want it. The smell is wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Agree jw, nothing on harming cats I might grow it and rub it on self to get rid of mosquitos, cept we don't have many since the build of the pond.

Catnip is not harmful to your cat. They won't overdose on it. Most cats know when they've had enough & will refuse any further offers.

Interestingly, researchers say that nepetalactone is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitos than DEET, which is the active ingredient in most insect repellents. It was also discovered that catnip repels cockroaches too!* Plants aren't alone in containing nepetalactone, some insects & ants also contain it. It's been speculated that this protects them from insects.

Rats & mice are also believed to have a strong dislike of catnip & will avoid places where it grows.

I don't have a cat, but there are a few strays around as well as other folks' outdoor cats and I have thought about growing catnip. This information seals it! Anything that can repel mosquitoes is welcome in my garden, but the added benefit of roaches and rats not liking it makes me want to get out and get some this instant!

Reaction score
Yeah, it is true! Catnip is one very useful herb. I know first hand that it protects against mosquitoes and mice! It also provides much enjoyment to my cats and in turn me, because I love watching them go crazy for it and act silly together. It definitely doesn't cause ulcers. They usually don't even eat it in my experience, but rub it on their faces.

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Totally interesting! I love Basil, Lavender and Mint, I will be planting those all around my house next spring, hope it works!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I hope it works too! When I was in Spain one of the vineyards we visited was using herbs to control pests, but there were a lot of plants. I think they would have to completely around the perimeter of the house for it to work.

Reaction score
Even more interesting than I thought it would be when I clicked on the link! When I had cats, they completely ignored the catnip - but I'd planted parsley, and they literally rolled around in that all the time, I've no idea why. I never thought to look at the active chemical ingredients in it, I'll do that.

Very interesting to see what insects and pests don't like catnip, but yep, a problem if its invasive. I do have a bed where I could put all the invasive plants together - catnip, mint, anything else? Its right by the back door, so I could just hop out there to grab some leaves for my mint tea, which would be lovely. Can humans drink tea made from catnip leaves? Or maybe cats would find it so attractive, I'd have to protect it in a cold frame as we were describing on another thread ...

Ask a Question