Conversations.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm still pretty much a new member but I've been a member of other forums for many years.

A short while ago I wished to send a member a personal message but could only find "Conversations" I compiled the message under Conversations but then deleted the message because I didn't know if the message would appear on the open forum?

A little later a member contacted me under Conversations so then I understood; however a few days ago another member contacted me in error having not understood the Conversation button? Because of this I've now gained another friend but how many more must feel confused about using the Conversation button? Other forums I'm a member of have PM's (Personal messages).

I hope I'm not being a pest because I'm easily confused being a dinosaur.

Kind regards, Colion.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Colin,

Yep, the "conversations" feature is a personal message feature - it won't appear visible to anyone else other than the participants. I've occasionally had a message in error this way, as new members may not realise that it's not how to start a thread on the forum.

The only other way of messaging is to write on a members profile page - these message are public and appear on the profile page of a particular member. I don't use this form of messaging, but I know that some people like it - so I've left it enabled.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Daren for your information and for your conversation message which I've replied to; it's kind of you. (y)

Thanks Ian for the detailed explanation which I appreciate. :) I did suss out eventually how to use conversations but then I received the message in error so thought perhaps other new members might also be a little confused? This forum though is brilliant but I think I'm going to need strong medication and lots of counselling to wean me from the forum if springtime ever arrives allowing me to get into the garden.

It's a great forum Ian thanks for letting me play on it. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
While we're on the subject, what does "Leave conversation" mean? Does that delete it?

What is a "Starred conversation?" :confused:

Yep, "Leave conversation" is essentially deleting it - it won't show up in your list of conversations anymore. I think the forum developers avoided using "delete" as there are multiple participants in conversations, so deleting it would imply it's removed for all people, but leaving only removes it from that member (if that makes sense).

"Starred" conversations are a little like bookmarked ones. If you star it (from the link at the top of the conversation) then it will keep a list of all of the starred conversations which you can access from a quick menu. I've never used this myself, but if you've got lots of chats going on then it could be handy :D. I had to test this out just now to find out how it worked :LOL:.

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
leaving only removes it from that member (if that makes sense).

Yes, it makes sense, but it also leads me to a new question. (You know that I am full of questions! :D.)

Once I've exchanged a pm with someone, I keep it. When I have something new to say to that person, I just add it to the old pm, rather than starting a new one. (Sort of like a private thread. :).) I like to see the things we have talked about before; I use it as a reference.

So, if they have left the conversation, but I "bump that thread," does it "refresh" the whole conversation for them? Do they see the things we talked about before? Or do they just get the new conversation with the old conversation "title?" :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm... you know, I don't know the answer to that one. I suspect if the other person leaves the conversation and there's only 1 person left, then it won't let you reply to it. I've never use the leave conversation button before.

I'll send you a conversation message now and then leave it, so try replying to it and see what happens :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Message sent!

It looks like it may bump the conversation message after all, as I got this popup when I clicked "leave":

Capture.PNG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Ian, I did send another message to see what happened if you picked option 2.

The system did not tell me that I was being denied. Not knowing if you got that message, I wanted to confirm that I sent one. (y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How about "Summer is here" MaryMary; now that wouldn't only be grand it would be a miracle. :D

Looks like I started something adding this thread; I also don't know how to text on my mobile phone and the TV remote drives me mad but then this forum is more interesting than text messages or TV remote controls. :)(y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for taking this a bit off-topic @Colin, but thought it would be interesting to figure out how this feature worked :).

@Ian, I did send another message to see what happened if you picked option 2.

The system did not tell me that I was being denied. Not knowing if you got that message, I wanted to confirm that I sent one. (y)

Thanks @MaryMary! Nope, I didn't get anything after picking option 2. Did it say it was sent from your end, or did it give any sort of error?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did it say it was sent from your end, or did it give any sort of error?

Nope, nothing to tell me that you were ignoring me!! :cautious: I guess that I could send infinite messages and never be the wiser. :(

How about "Summer is here" MaryMary; now that wouldn't only be grand it would be a miracle. :D

Oh, book, movie, or song titles! (y)

If you got summer and wanted to talk about it - it would have to be Winds of Change!! :ROFLMAO: Maybe... Ripley's Believe It Or Not. :whistle:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, nothing to tell me that you were ignoring me!! :cautious: I guess that I could send infinite messages and never be the wiser. :(

Hmm, I'm not sure if I like that feature of XenForo! I didn't get any notifications at all, I suppose the option message did warn me that it would ignore future messages :eek:. Thanks for helping me test this!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuFlungPu

Latest Threads