Continuous Pumpkin

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I love pumpkins but I have realized that after the vine has yield its crop it dies and then I would ave to replant. Is this the way pumpkins grows or is there a way to have a continuous suppl of pumpkin?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think once you have harvested the pumpkin that one vine my dye but another plant should flower to start another pumpkin. I know pumpkins are planted every planting season for harvest later during the year.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Thanks Pat. I thought as much. Even I plant pumpkin at different times it seems to produce at the same time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Almost everything has a season. Pumpkins are generally a "fall" crop planted in the summer. I am not aware of them being perennial, but I learn new things about plants every day. I suppose you could layer part of the vine and create a new clone plant; you could also try cutting the vine back, but weather is a big part of the seasonality of plants - a pumpkin vine would likely freeze over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, pumpkin is a crop so that means it has a planting season and a harvesting season as well. We have the small pumpkin that is decorative. It grows by itself (from the seeds that we throw) in January of early February and it bears fruit before Halloween. Right now, the yellow fruits are matured and in a few weeks would turn brown and rot. So in the following months, we have to plant again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a large yard or area to grow pumpkin, but I have seen them at a friend's house. They do died after the harvest and they are not perennial since my friend has to plant pumpkin all over again every year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah you will definitely have to replant after you've harvested all the pumpkins the vines will give you. The good part is that pumpkin starts to grow fairly quickly and once you give it it's regular watering you only have to worry about the vines taking over the place. It's not hard work at all. Just get the seeds in soil and your pretty much good to go after that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought that, where you are, if you sowed a few seeds every couple of months, then, bearing in mind the storage potential of pumpkins, you could get very close to a year-round supply.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I have tried to do that. However pumpkin needs space to run along. What happens is the new and old vines are mixed together. Not a good sight. Depending where the pumpkin grows I have to be on the look out for goats and persons who will help themselves.Plus the crop always seem to bear all at once regardless when it was planted.

Ask a Question