Pumpkins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm Matt from Long Island, NY which is zone 7. I have pumpkins growing in my garden and I am getting concerned that they're not going to be ripe anytime soon. I was given the plant as a seedling from someone who told me they were zucchini. I was pleasantly surprised to discover otherwise, though I don't know anything about the variety of pumpkins they are.

I have attached photos to show you the state of the plant and the pumpkins which are all about 5-6 inches diameter. Can anyone tell me if they will get any bigger? When they will start turning orange? When they may be ready to pick? And especially what I can/should be doing to get the best harvest?

Also—should I cut back the large leaves so the sun can hit the pumpkins hidden underneath? This was suggested to me but I am concerned that cutting away many leaves will damage the plant which won't be able to nurture the pumpkins on the vines.

—M
IMG_9256.JPG
IMG_9259.JPG
IMG_9260.JPG
I really appreciate your help!

—Matt

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Matt, take my opinion with a grain of salt because the only pumpkin we've grown is a volunteer that came up in the compost pile. From the shape and striping, I think those may be pie pumpkins--smallish, dense with a smaller seed cavity, and delicious!
Our pumpkin looked like yours, and grew to about 8" across. It ripened to a light orange, but it took a while--just how long I don't remember. I think you'll get a ripe one or two. They sure do look good, though!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your response—I really appreciate it! That is quite a relief to hear! I was hoping to carve them, but now I may have to take them into the kitchen!

All the best
—M

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not sure that they are pumpkins. I've not seen pumpkins with white spots all over the skin. I think they are some variety of winter squash. It looks like you have quite a few of them so why not sacrifice one of the biggest and see what is inside as to ripeness

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

I'd agree, more likely a winter squash.

Give one a tap, they sound hollow when ripe as a cavity develops around the seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, Zigs—Thanks for responding. I hadn't considered that it could be winter squash. They do sort of resemble Kabocha squash. I am going to read up on them, thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking I may have sugar-pie pumpkins on my hands. At this stage, they do resemble a Kabocha squash, but I found some photos online, including the one below, that seem to be a good match for what I have. Does anyone know if I should cut away the large leaves that are overshadowing the pumpkins in order to expose them to the sun as much as possible? Would this help them ripen and change color? I plan to step-up my fertilizing as well with a liquid Miracle Grow.
pmk_sugar_pie_700.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Matt, I would leave the leaves on the vine, but we are in Texas and prone to sun scald. I think most vegetables and fruits mature at their own rate, and exposing them to more sun may not be helpful to ripening. Many ripen from the inside to the outside. Sun exposure doesn't have much to do with ripening.
Fertilizing at this point would just encourage vine growth, Why not just sit back, watch your pumpkins, and enjoy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Why not just sit back, watch your pumpkins, and enjoy?[/QUOTE]

HA, that sounds like good advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
DO NOT remove the leaves. They add to photosynthesis and the ripening of the fruit. It does look like you found out what they are. When was the seedling planted? In my books it says that they are 100-110 day plants but that can change with the amount of sunlight

Ask a Question