Containing blackberries and raspberries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Can you show me your set up for your berry bushes? I have 8 blackberry plants and will buy some raspberries. Our property has woods along the back and side of the property.
we are in Wilmington, NC, zone 8a,so a lot of pines and magnolias-lots it dappled sun for the berries. I plan to put blackberries along the back of the property and raspberries on the side. Would love to see how you recommend containing them on trellises, etc.

Thanks!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Nothing fancy here for my blackberries. I just grow them along a fence and mulch heavily with old hay to keep the weeds down. They produce about three gallons each June which is enough for us.

I do trellis grapes but just let the blackberries go. I had raspberries in the past but got rid of them because they were extremely invasive and could not be contained.

Simple approach but it works for me.

blackberries 2020.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nothing fancy here for my blackberries. I just grow them along a fence and mulch heavily with old hay to keep the weeds down. They produce about three gallons each June which is enough for us.

I do trellis grapes but just let the blackberries go. I had raspberries in the past but got rid of them because they were extremely invasive and could not be contained.

Simple approach but it works for me.

View attachment 62639
Thank you! Helpful to see your setup!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We got started with Kiowa blackberries. We bought them from these folks and followed their advice.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find!!!!!! The gentleman in the videos explains things very well and we will follow this system!

now... how has your experience been with the Kiowa berries? My 8 plants came from clearance at Lowe’s (can’t beat $1 per plant✌️), but I would like to invest into proven plants down the road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You are welcome. Both the Father and Son are Botanists. I believe Jason has a Phd. They are a great resource. Available by phone too for questions.

Kiowa are HUGE. Sugar concentrations are often related to water content and speed of growth as it influences the specific gravity of the juice and pulp in the berry so I would not overly fertilize, and I would look again at the video to notice the height of the planting area vs the ground level for drainage purposes. We have an acidic clay here. Petals from the past is about 20 minutes from here, so when I show you our setup you will see the similarity in slight elevation
IMG_20200406_085032_resize_67.jpg
IMG_20200406_085119_resize_29.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question