Container Gardening

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The clay pot have always been my favorite. I have used a burlap material that was good for one season before it degraded, which was okay, I knew it would not last long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For heavens sake, those are tiny pots for seedlings!!!
Wood is pricey too! I know you are trying to be helpful but,
If you insist on dredging up old posts and offering advice, please, please, consider the context of the conversation...:(
I agree with you. You need big pots if you are really going to take up container gardening because the plants grow into full adult plants at some point and vegetables especially need room to grow.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pat,

The organic hemp bags I have used last for one season also, the following year they need to be replaced. Still, I find them practical, and a nice option. Glad to meet someone who has done something similar :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I currently live in an apartment and have a pretty good side balcony.I have looked at Pinterest more times than I can remember trying to get container gardening ideas but I can't seem to find anything I would be able to get my hands on. I mean I could do the plastic and plastic tubs but I am really worried about the plastics leaking their chemicals into the soil. Has anyone had experience container gardening on a budget and would be willing to share advice and ideas? Have you ever tried using cardboard or dresser drawers? Would they do the same as plastics, leaking their chemicals into the soil, since most have been furnished or coated with some thing or another?

Hi, from experience 5 gallon food grade buckets work very well. Look on Craigslist in your area you may be able to find a food manufacturing company trying to get rid of food grade buckets and barrels. Also have you thought about using old pallets to build a garden box on your balcony? Garden boxes work just as well. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus was going to get rid of an old feather pillow which was stained and smelly. I emptied the feathers into my compost bin, then thought 'I am keeping that bag'. It is made of really closely woven cotton, I shall be filling it with compost for something come Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I currently live in an apartment and have a pretty good side balcony.I have looked at Pinterest more times than I can remember trying to get container gardening ideas but I can't seem to find anything I would be able to get my hands on. I mean I could do the plastic and plastic tubs but I am really worried about the plastics leaking their chemicals into the soil. Has anyone had experience container gardening on a budget and would be willing to share advice and ideas? Have you ever tried using cardboard or dresser drawers? Would they do the same as plastics, leaking their chemicals into the soil, since most have been furnished or coated with some thing or another?
When you say "pretty good" side balcony. What type of lighting and temperatures are you observing? This will tell you ALOT about what you can viably grow in the area. Shallow rooted vegetables and herbs can grow quite well in smaller pots or troughs. Deep rooted vegetables will require a bit more. Regardless of what method you decide, always keep an eye on your soul moisture, and add a bit a mulch - some covering - over the soil where you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I must disagree with you on this one. I have never seen decorative terracotta pots, or for that matter unpainted terracotta pots sold inexpensively. I use approximately 50 x 5, 3 or 2 gallon containers and it would cost a small fortune to use anything but plastic and I can't imagine trying to store anything else through the winter months!
Old Time Pottery is very reasonable with terra cotta clay pots.

The downside is they are very heavy, and they leach a lot of water from the potting soil. If you live in a very warm/hot environment you would need drip irrigation or be willing to water, it more often than plastic. Either way container gardens have to be watered frequently since they are in containers but understand clay will absorb a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone on this thread aware that it is yet another one resurrected by Louis Ferdinand from March 2015, and the OP no longer posts anything on the forum?

Ask a Question