Container Gardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently live in an apartment and have a pretty good side balcony.I have looked at Pinterest more times than I can remember trying to get container gardening ideas but I can't seem to find anything I would be able to get my hands on. I mean I could do the plastic and plastic tubs but I am really worried about the plastics leaking their chemicals into the soil. Has anyone had experience container gardening on a budget and would be willing to share advice and ideas? Have you ever tried using cardboard or dresser drawers? Would they do the same as plastics, leaking their chemicals into the soil, since most have been furnished or coated with some thing or another?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you are growing food try getting five gallon food grade buckets. You can find them for about a buck a piece from restaurants or other places that buy in bulk. Burlap or material might make it through a growing season. If you see, old denim (blue jeans) could make good, big sacks. You could also use boards to nail something very eye appealing together fairly easily.

I've been using old planters for growing runner beans in the last few years. I have been happy with the results, plus I get shade on the south side of the building.

With ornamentals it doesn't make any difference. Happy gardening(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I currently live in an apartment and have a pretty good side balcony.I have looked at Pinterest more times than I can remember trying to get container gardening ideas but I can't seem to find anything I would be able to get my hands on. I mean I could do the plastic and plastic tubs but I am really worried about the plastics leaking their chemicals into the soil. Has anyone had experience container gardening on a budget and would be willing to share advice and ideas? Have you ever tried using cardboard or dresser drawers? Would they do the same as plastics, leaking their chemicals into the soil, since most have been furnished or coated with some thing or another?
I don't believe you have to worry about plastics leeching chemicals into your soil unless the temperature is extremely high. I used to get plastic pots of varying sizes free from the nursery that I did business with

Reaction score

I'd be more worried about the idea of using dresser drawers if I were you, specially if I were to grow edibles. I think the others have given you better options :) I liked the grade food plastic idea, I think that would work great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have used plastic containers in the past for edibles and have had the same concern. I then went with recycled material pots and had great success with those. I think your best bet is to spend the money on clay pots for anything that is going to be consumed. Regular Terra cotta pots are marked down in the spring and summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The 5 gallon food grade buckets sound like a fantastic idea. I haven't really given thought to that but it makes sense since places like Kroger/Costco, ect use them for frosting, ect. I should hit up my local grocery store and see if I can take some off their hands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I believe I read somewhere that the walmart cloth reusable bags don't have any harmful chemicals in them. You could perhaps prewash before using just to make sure there is no sizing in them perhaps.

And great handles to help move around too!

Forgot to mention that i use cheapy boot trays from the dollar store and I can sit two big pots on each one.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Terracotta isn't that expensive, and is very beautiful. You can search around to buy them cheaply. K-mart, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot, etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Terracotta isn't that expensive, and is very beautiful. You can search around to buy them cheaply. K-mart, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot, etc

I must disagree with you on this one. I have never seen decorative terracotta pots, or for that matter unpainted terracotta pots sold inexpensively. I use approximately 50 x 5, 3 or 2 gallon containers and it would cost a small fortune to use anything but plastic and I can't imagine trying to store anything else through the winter months!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Last year we bought a star fruit tree in a big rubber pot. It is already fruiting at 3 feet high. Now it is more than 5 feet (taller than me) and fruiting. It is still planted in that rubber pot and we have no intention of planting it on the ground. At least a plant or tree in a pot can be moved to a desired place if needed. So if it grows so high then we can move it to another location.

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lori,

Here are a few I found online ~

0.96 cents
4" Standard Clay Pot

$1.61
6" Standard Clay Pot

$2.83
8" Standard Clay Pot

http://www.kmart.com/search=cheap terra cotta pots

Also if you go around to major outlet stores at a time when they are getting ready for the new season, you can sometimes find the prices marked down.

I agree though, things can be pricey nowadays, even plastic pots.

In regards to very large pots I would almost consider making a wooden planter box, that would be a possible inexpensive alternative.

You always have to be on the lookout for a good price. It's an ongoing process, to get the items you want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Lori,

0.96 cents
4" Standard Clay Pot

$1.61
6" Standard Clay Pot

$2.83
8" Standard Clay Pot

Also if you go around to major outlet stores at a time when they are getting ready for the new season, you can sometimes find the prices marked down.

In regards to very large pots I would almost consider making a wooden planter box, that would be a possible inexpensive alternative.

You always have to be on the lookout for a good price. It's an ongoing process, to get the items you want.
For heavens sake, those are tiny pots for seedlings!!!
Wood is pricey too! I know you are trying to be helpful but,
If you insist on dredging up old posts and offering advice, please, please, consider the context of the conversation...:(

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Lori,

RandiWininger:
I could do the plastic and plastic tubs but I am really worried about the plastics leaking their chemicals into the soil. Has anyone had experience container gardening on a budget and would be willing to share advice and ideas? ....

I thought the context was inexpensive alternatives to plastic. Sorry, was doing the best I could :(... terracotta on sale in the off-season, hemp bags.

I only commented because I thought it would still be relevant, and felt maybe we could generate some more ideas.

My apologies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Lori,

0.96 cents
4" Standard Clay Pot

$1.61
6" Standard Clay Pot

$2.83
8" Standard Clay Pot

We used to buy clay pots for our plants but when the plastic pots got into fashion, that's what we use now because it is more durable and cheaper too. But with big plants, we buy the rubber pot particularly for the small trees. The rubber pot is hard and the roots of the small tree couldn't destroy the bottom unlike the clay pot that easily cracks when the roots are crowded already.
rubber pots

Ask a Question