Dwarf Fruits for Container Gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Unfortunately, caring for a fruit tree or bush can be pretty location specific. You need to make sure it's warm enough outside. If you move around a lot it just isn't easy to keep it alive when you have to dig it up. That's where container gardening comes in! Here's a few breeds of fruit bearing plants that can be grown in containers.

Meyer Lemon Tree
Citrus_lemon.jpg

Dwarf Kaffir Lime Tree
espailier_tn.jpg

Top Hat Blueberry Bush
DETA-1323.jpg

(Column) Apple Trees
columnar-apple-starkbros_com.jpg

Strawberries
strawberry.detail.jpg

Dwarf Mandarin Orange Tree
productimages

Dwarf Banana Tree
2827a.jpg

Dwarf Pomegranate
51R3VOyCIoL._SX300_.jpg

Dwarf Fig
fig2.jpg

I have only tried the lemon tree myself though, so good luck to all those who try!
Note: Be sure you buy the dwarf varieties and check what size container they need to grow in!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like this idea very much, in planing of my container garden I was specifically thinking vegetables, I had not even considered fruit but I would love to try a lemon tree and a strawberry container! I have had a potted fig tree before, years ago, but it never grew any figs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I like this. I like container gardening. I love the dwarf banana tree just for the look of it. Just when is a good time to plant fruit or vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All those dwarf fruit trees are something perfect for me. I'm living in an apartment now, I don't have a garden anymore, so I plan to buy as many containers as I can and try to grow something indoors. I'd love to have a dwarf fig and orange trees. Berries sound like a great idea too.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's a wonderful idea, Mika! I've always wanted fruit trees but I move around often, so I can't really set some up and wait for them to bear fruit. Something like this would be convenient and perfect for moving around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All those dwarf fruit trees are something perfect for me. I'm living in an apartment now, I don't have a garden anymore, so I plan to buy as many containers as I can and try to grow something indoors. I'd love to have a dwarf fig and orange trees. Berries sound like a great idea too.

This. I've been looking and learning more on container farming and Dwarf trees and plants, as I have a limited space inside, just as I've limited space outside (a small bit in front of my windows) to maintain a small but handy garden of edible growables. I don't like flowers because I live too close to the forest in this apartment building and I'm not a fan of a swarm of bees or bugs. Ugh.

I want three Top Hat blueberry bushes now. Lol. I could sit and eat Blueberries all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
I have a dwarf peach and dwarf lemon, keen to add more! These pictured potted plants at having a much better yield than I have so far! Tips appreciated lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a Meyer lemon tree and I love all the lemons I get from it because there not bitter like other lemons there on the sweet side.

Reaction score
I did not know that these could be grown in containers. I will have to try the blueberries. I love to see people growing citrus fruits because here in Ga. we don't grow them. We have grown the strawberries in containers though. I just do not have time to do a larger garden this year so the containers will work for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had no idea that so many fruit-bearing trees could work in a container, rather than being planted in the ground. I definitely want to try to find a dwarf fig tree for my new back patio. I wonder where in my area I could find some dwarf fruit trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Mika, those photos of trees and plants in the pot are enviable. However, I have a question with the banana stalk. We also have bananas in our backyard and I have a good orientation on the roots. Isn't it a bit odd that you will confine the banana plant in a pot? I mean it is like a person living in a crowded place. But anyway, for novelty, that's really unique.

By the way, we also have a big tree in a pot. And since it is in a pot so the growth is stunted. It is the star fruit. I will post pictures later.

Ask a Question