Container gardening

Reaction score
I have lot of growing in containers. It is very easy for me to maintain and care. Protecting container plants from winter are easy but need proper care. I have been growing tomatoes, peppers, pineapple, aloevera, jasmine and many more houseplants. It seem very easy for me to monitor them. Always remember to feed your plants, because they wont be able to get any nutrients until you feed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ok, I have a lot of planning to do. I used to have a gardening book for kids from childhood that covered growing potatoes in buckets, but I think I donated it to a school garden program. Now my quest will be to find eco-friendly containers that won't leach chemicals into the soil.

Just found this awesome link for container gardening for everything from herbs to apple trees:
http://video.planetgreen.discovery....things-growhome-containers-withoutgarden.html

Reaction score
So far I have done only container gardening. I always grow a few varieties of tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, cucumbers etc. This fall I dug up a section of my backyard to grow kale, cabbage and lettuce for the first time. I like container gardening because you don't have to worry about pest or disease but I think the plants would grow larger if they were grown in the ground.

Reaction score
I've used a container gardening methods with a really successful crop of radishes and carrots. I used pieces of left over gutters from when we put in our new shed. They work very well for the radishes and smaller carrots as they don't need as much soil. The best part was we put them on saw horses so they were up high and the rabbits couldn't get in to them.

Reaction score
I can only have a container garden because I live in the city in an apartment on the second floor. Bell peppers tomatoes and gourds are my favorite vegetables to grow in containers. Herbs are grown in used tin cans and jam jars. All these are lined up on my kitchen window sill with a trough to catch any water that might drip down.
If I had more space I would try out other vegetables. Currently I will have to make do with what I have. Its mainly flowers and showy indoor plants grown under grow lights.

Reaction score
Where I come from we grow vegetables in gunny bags, any vegetable can be planted in their and it does well. Since there are no more spaces in town houses and the balcony are what remaining, people have started planting their veges in those bags and in return they eat fresh vegetables. Anything from spinach, carrot, tomatoes even onion is planted in them. May be you can try it.

Reaction score
Where I come from we grow vegetables in gunny bags, any vegetable can be planted in their and it does well. Since there are no more spaces in town houses and the balcony are what remaining, people have started planting their veges in those bags and in return they eat fresh vegetables. Anything from spinach, carrot, tomatoes even onion is planted in them. May be you can try it.
I use these sacks for planting my veggies. I find these pretty useful and great to use on window sills. These can be folded and kept when not in use. They can be squeezed into any space too.
I actually grow my gourds and squashes in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
We do a lot of container gardening around our patio, flowers and herbs for the most part. The biggest problem we had was with the soil getting too dry and plants wilting unless watered at least once a day. A good solution was to tie the containers into our sprinkler system, on a separate zone.

Reaction score
I like container gardening. I think it would really be the only option here because the soil isn't too good at all in my yard.A container also makes it easy to move them about and protect them from the elements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you open to raised garden boxes? They are more permanent than containers via pots, but offer much more yield for the space. They are easy enough to build, last a long time, and can hold many different types of plants. By time the plastic pots have dried and brittled in the sun, you will have saved time and money with a nice study garden box.

Ask a Question