Confused about Aloe

Reaction score
so I got an aloe terrarium earlier this year and it came with 4 aloe seeds. I planted all four as instructed and only two sprouted. I'm fine with that because hey <3 aloe. Anyway one is growing very well while the other... not so much.

ca5tXfp.jpg

this is what they look like together. You can see one is growing very well while the other... hasn't so much. They have about the same water time. I water this plant once or twice a week sometimes more if the soil isn't dry underneath. I'm kind of worried about the second one and I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to how I can make this grow. Perhaps transplanting might help but it is so small and flimsy. There are barely any roots to it at all right now either so I'm afraid of moving it. Ideas, advice?

here's a close up of the smaller one.

FllcozS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are both getting too much water. See the discoloration on the larger ones leaf tips. Let them dry out and only water when the soil is dry about 2 inches deep about every 10 days or so

Reaction score
That's so exciting that you grew aloe plants from seeds! You do have one very nice looking plant. I agree with the previous post that the weaker plant may be a result of overwatering. Aloe is a succulent and accustomed to a dry climate. Treat it more like a cactus than a houseplant. I've had great success with aloe because of my tendency to forget to water. I have ended up with plenty of aloe by dividing plants every year or so, but I've never tried to grow it from seed. Congratulations on your success!

Reaction score
haha I think it was a sucess because it gave me a little "greenhouse" I doubt it would have germinated in my climate alone. But the seeds were interesting as they had a little skin over them and they were flat. Only difference with them than any normal plants is I was directed to not put soil OVER them rather the rocks would keep them from blowing away *though it was stuck in the greenhouse for some time so not likely a wind will take it. Other than that it grea much like a normal plant, and bam Aloe! :D

So i'll try to water it less, and hope for the best O.O

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think a smaller pot would have been a nice idea, but I do agree with Chuck, your aloe vera plants are getting too much water. That container is too big as well.

Reaction score
it was the container given to me by the company that I bought them from... you know the "grow your own" stuff. lol so I used that. As I said before I'm afraid to transplant because the roots are pretty flimsy... and I'm not always the best at transplanting lol...

Ask a Question