Composting / leaves mulch question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello,

I have some Composting / leaves mulch question

I have heard that it’s not good to use tomato plants in composting / leaves mulch because tomato plants attract lots of diseases. Is that true?
I have also heard that walnut tree leaves are not good for composting / leaves mulch. Is that true?
How about rotten tomatoes or apples? Can they be used for composting / leaves mulch? Do animals get into it since I am doing composting on the ground?

Thanks,

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy.

Tomato plants: They are fine for compost only if they are completely disease free. If in doubt, don't use them.

Walnut tree leaves: They are allelopathic meaning they have chemicals which inhibit growth of other plants. I would not use in compost intended for garden plants.

Rotten tomatoes and apples: again, as long as they are disease free then ok to use...but expect some pop up offsprings from them.

Animals: Critters like rats and plant eating creatures will occasionally get in there and dig. Just never use any meat products or you can really have problems with animals.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So long as there is not too much old fruit in there the critters are probably not a problem, and it will add moisture which helps the rotting process. Having it on the ground means the worms find it quickly. I try to put them where I want to use a bit of ground, it improves it no end, especially if you leave a couple of inches when you deconstruct and dig them in.

Ask a Question