First time composting been 2 or 3 weeks i think.. what do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started saving all my vegetable scraps an stuff that's compostable. An for browns I use old dried decomposing leaves. I got a good amount of mulch in the mix. An it's looking great a whole watermelon fully decomposed already! I will show pics, when it gets too soggy I add more dried leaves an it soaks it up a lot by the next day. I love building an making compost now. I chop up all my scraps with a machete next to my bin. An stir it all up composting is amazing. I never thought it be into composting. I love it when food rots an makes rich soil.
I leave my soil in my plastic bin. Then, when I need it to get air once or twice a week. I put it in a kiddie pool to air out. Or remoisten it up. An when I put it in my barrels I choke the oxygen. So far I love results
20230322_165030.jpg
20230322_165035.jpg
20230313_175122.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been working diligently to plant weed free above the heavy rain water line and it is not easy. Gardening should not need a saw but it is a useful tool.
What do you mean above the water line? Can I see a pic to get a better picture of what your explaining? Mulch choke it out with a thick layer could be a possible option. I've grown on the ground at ground level it's a lot more hassle to deal with. I tried farmer styled colums that split with heavy rain falls. I use a lot of methods to prevent flooding. Plant on racks or use raised beds now. I got it level but, I wonder of the dirt will escape the bottom gaps? Or how seal it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What do you mean above the water line? Can I see a pic to get a better picture of what your explaining? Mulch choke it out with a thick layer could be a possible option. I've grown on the ground at ground level it's a lot more hassle to deal with. I tried farmer styled colums that split with heavy rain falls. I use a lot of methods to prevent flooding. Plant on racks or use raised beds now. I got it level but, I wonder of the dirt will escape the bottom gaps? Or how seal it
Roots and hyphae will soon hold it. We get a lot of rain sometime. We call them frog stranglers. 3 to 6 inches in a day. My garden sits in a low area so its best to be slightly elevated because of ponding water. Usually I plant in hill rows because of this. I have gotten a bunch of redwood board I thought I might use to raise some beds. But they will need to be 24" or so because there will be a bunch of old wood in the bottom for filler.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Roots and hyphae will soon hold it. We get a lot of rain sometime. We call them frog stranglers. 3 to 6 inches in a day. My garden sits in a low area so its best to be slightly elevated because of ponding water. Usually I plant in hill rows because of this. I have gotten a bunch of redwood board I thought I might use to raise some beds. But they will need to be 24" or so because there will be a bunch of old wood in the bottom for filler.
An the spot you chose is the best option versus other areas? I also planted some of my garden in low areas. I use compost to build up a ton of area. I got it buy the truck load because, a garden place is very close to my home. An it's very easy for me thankfully but hopefully you can figure something else out. To where its built up nice. My raised bed was hella work.

Ask a Question