chinchilla manure tea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Chinchilla poop is equal to rabbit or guinea pig and breaks down the same. Instead of throwing it all out in my soil or compost bins though I was wondering if I might get the nutrients to some plants like my blueberry bushes better if I soak it in water. What if I use a 4-5g bucket and cups of chinchilla poop (it does have a little hay and wood pieces in it) to enrich the water I pour around the blueberries and other plants? Maybe it would help my struggling dwarf apple trees. Would small herbivore poop increase soil acidity? We have alkaline soil and it is a lot of work to plant anything that likes acidic soil. I've been using a manure and humus mixture along with free compost from the city to try to loosen up and acidify the soil. I do also have guinea pigs but being on wood bedding I compost everything I clean from their cages, which is a lot. In 3-4 months we can fill a 4x4x4' compost bin if it is not actively breaking things down as we add them such as over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chinchilla poop is equal to rabbit or guinea pig and breaks down the same. Instead of throwing it all out in my soil or compost bins though I was wondering if I might get the nutrients to some plants like my blueberry bushes better if I soak it in water. What if I use a 4-5g bucket and cups of chinchilla poop (it does have a little hay and wood pieces in it) to enrich the water I pour around the blueberries and other plants? Maybe it would help my struggling dwarf apple trees. Would small herbivore poop increase soil acidity? We have alkaline soil and it is a lot of work to plant anything that likes acidic soil. I've been using a manure and humus mixture along with free compost from the city to try to loosen up and acidify the soil. I do also have guinea pigs but being on wood bedding I compost everything I clean from their cages, which is a lot. In 3-4 months we can fill a 4x4x4' compost bin if it is not actively breaking things down as we add them such as over winter.
Go for it! Just about any poop is great.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Chinchila manure is very nutritions as just like goat and chicken manure. This is in addition to the fact that the water content is low making them concentrated. With regard to the issue of soil acidity, the best approach is to lime the soil. All manures are acidic in addition to plant roots which release organic acids which bind some nutrients making them unavailable to plants.

Ask a Question