Compost VS. Manure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Compost vs. manure

I'm finally getting my garden beds cleaned up and ready for planting. I'm wondering what I should add to it. I'm going to use bagged compost or manure.

What's the functional difference between compost and manure?

How do I know what to use?

Thanks,
DiMart

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I checked to make sure that I am correct before I put my foot in my mouth (I try not to do that anymore;)). If you look at Black Kow, it is composted cow manure. Not endorsing them, that is just the first brand name that popped into my head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Manure will fertilise/feed the soil as well as working as a mulch. Compost is a general purpose mulch and is particularly helpful in holding moisture. It contains fertiliser but generally only lasts about six weeks. You can use both together if necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Compost vs. manure

I'm finally getting my garden beds cleaned up and ready for planting. I'm wondering what I should add to it. I'm going to use bagged compost or manure.

What's the functional difference between compost and manure?

How do I know what to use?

Thanks,
DiMart
Manure goes in when the plants are done at the end of the season. Six months later in the spring, the composted manure will have worked its magic annd make beautiful spring growth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Pure compost is a growing medium. It has little or no nutritional value, but is an excellent medium for getting nutrients and trace elements to plants, as it will contain the bacteria required to break them down into forms accessible to plants. Most bought compost comes with added fertilisers.
Manure has its own, organic fertilisers, to which others can, if necessary, be added, dependant upon the needs of the plants. It can be too hot (high in nitrogen) for some plants, and is usually left a year to moderate.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK: manure refers to animal excrement - but generally refers to HORSE manure. Supposed to add nutrients to the soil or compost. Compost now can be decomposed twigs, organic materials and now according to government directives, some compost includes human excrement. To avoid the latter, more expensive compost is marketed to denote the difference. Some compost have been enriched with slow release fertilisers and the fertilisers can be seen in tiny bullets in the compost. There are various forms of compost, for example, compost for seed sowing. I have a bag of John Innes seed sowing compost which is very fine. Another one from Wyevale which has big pieces of twig - that's probably for beans and so on. Compost itself is a big and complicated discipline - to be studied and used with care or your petunia seeds won't survive in Wyevale compost for seedlings while if sow beans with JI seedling compost, that would be a waste of money. No offense to Wyevale seedlings compost .. There are very fine seeds and very big seeds. Research needs to be done before any sowing. That's why we have @DirtMechanic here! LOL!

Then there is peat-free compost marketed to protected the environment. Compost for baskets and tubs, compost for orchids... The mind boggles!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use the "deep litter" in my chicken run, and use that to regenerate my soil.
my deep litter is made out of: pine shavings, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, pine cones, pine needles, hair, and of course chicken poop.... should I add anything else?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use the "deep litter" in my chicken run, and use that to regenerate my soil.
my deep litter is made out of: pine shavings, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, pine cones, pine needles, hair, and of course chicken poop.... should I add anything else?

Garden soil, especially a healthy dose of clay. Clay is full of nutrients and when it is opened up, it is a marvellous medium. Not as a clay clod though! A bit of soil taken discreetly and with consideration from woodland as it is full of beneficial microbes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A bit of soil taken discreetly and with consideration from woodland as it is full of beneficial microbes.
That I can certainly do, part of my property is woodland :)
Thanks!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You lucky lady and I'm so pleased for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Garden soil, especially a healthy dose of clay. Clay is full of nutrients and when it is opened up, it is a marvellous medium. Not as a clay clod though! A bit of soil taken discreetly and with consideration from woodland as it is full of beneficial microbes.
As long as you are considerate and leave no hole for me to step in while looking up at the trees!

Ask a Question