Carolina Reaper Pepper Blossom Drop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I was hoping for some advice on my pepper that I planted back in Mid-May.
It keeps dropping its blossoms and doesn't appear to grow any bigger. (This is the first time I've attempted to grow a reaper.)
I've narrowed it down to two possibilities
-Tempurature or soil type.
ND does have a pretty erratic climate. Going from 55 in the evenings and a week later 104 during the day.
The plant is not in the direct sun, and I have a box around it to shield it from the wind.

As far as the soil goes. It's in 1/3 top soil, 1/3 garden soil, and 1/3 sand/river rock with a scoop of perlite (in a well drained 5 gal bucket).

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I was hoping for some advice on my pepper that I planted back in Mid-May.
It keeps dropping its blossoms and doesn't appear to grow any bigger. (This is the first time I've attempted to grow a reaper.)
I've narrowed it down to two possibilities
-Tempurature or soil type.
ND does have a pretty erratic climate. Going from 55 in the evenings and a week later 104 during the day.
The plant is not in the direct sun, and I have a box around it to shield it from the wind.

As far as the soil goes. It's in 1/3 top soil, 1/3 garden soil, and 1/3 sand/river rock with a scoop of perlite (in a well drained 5 gal bucket).

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grow many different super hots and they all share many of the same traits. The blossom drop is common until the weather stays warm-hot. Growth is also affected. Be patient. When night time temps stay in the mid 60's and daytime temps stay in the 85-90F range it will start setting fruit. They really like hot weather. I don't know about N. Dakota but in Texas I must spray the young fruit with Spinosad to keep sucking insects from damaging it. This damage causes the peppers to get red before they are truly ripe and makes a part of the pepper unedible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow many different super hots and they all share many of the same traits. The blossom drop is common until the weather stays warm-hot. Growth is also affected. Be patient. When night time temps stay in the mid 60's and daytime temps stay in the 85-90F range it will start setting fruit. They really like hot weather. I don't know about N. Dakota but in Texas I must spray the young fruit with Spinosad to keep sucking insects from damaging it. This damage causes the peppers to get red before they are truly ripe and makes a part of the pepper unedible.

Thanks for the tip!

Ask a Question