Help with Carolina Reapers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought these Carolina Reapers off the internet and I was told they <90 days old. I have transplanted them with Miracle Grow into 5 Gallon buckets, kept them out of the sun for 3 days like suggested, watering regularly and they don’t seem to be progressing at all. I have a chili type pepper plant in a raised bed garden that is near the buckets and it has been producing peppers like crazy. I live in San Diego so the weather is always 75/80 and sunny.
D36457D0-8C91-4AAF-B1E6-01AF57DC2D09.jpeg
Just wondering if anyone has some tips to suggest. Thank you
B154748C-9A35-483A-8301-5058247561E9.jpeg
8C0D2EC9-0F99-4CFF-8839-689CE63A1ABD.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought these Carolina Reapers off the internet and I was told they <90 days old. I have transplanted them with Miracle Grow into 5 Gallon buckets, kept them out of the sun for 3 days like suggested, watering regularly and they don’t seem to be progressing at all. I have a chili type pepper plant in a raised bed garden that is near the buckets and it has been producing peppers like crazy. I live in San Diego so the weather is always 75/80 and sunny.View attachment 57617 Just wondering if anyone has some tips to suggest. Thank you View attachment 57615View attachment 57616
When the grower said 90 days he didn't mean that the peppers were 90 days old. He meant that it takes about 90 days for the plant to produce a harvestable pepper after transplanting. In my experience with them it takes about 110 days. The hotter the pepper the longer it takes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 57622These are the exact ones I purchased, I guess the title is just misleading.
All I can say, is that when my reapers are 90 days old (including germination time) they are a lot bigger than those plants pictured in your first post. I may have been misleading in my post when I said 110 days. For my taste buds reapers are way too hot to eat like a regular hot pepper. I pick mine green. Not nearly as hot as when red. It takes about 200-230 days for mine to get fully mature. I think it depends on your location as to how long it actually takes from seed to mature fully red carolina reaper. A couple of years ago I grew Scotch Bonnets and Carolina Reapers. It took the reapers at least 45 days longer to mature and they were at least 45 days hotter too.

Last edited:

Ask a Question