so if I want to keep it in kernel form 55 minutes. ty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

I suspect it will be fine. To make safe the recommendation basically cooks it to death. Hence my position of slurry/juice The corn done my method is very pleasant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I suspect it will be fine. To make safe the recommendation basically cooks it to death. Hence my position of slurry/juice The corn done my method is very pleasant.
but you drink it and not eat it correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
thank you. so corn for me would be better served eating fresh r saving frozen.

other veggies could be canned. in particular anything with tomatoes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
thank you. so corn for me would be better served eating fresh r saving frozen.

other veggies could be canned. in particular anything with tomatoes

I can any plant food. And feel completely safe. Have some chickpeas fermenting now. Must do some more garden produce. We had a bit of rain yesterday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A water bath canner is simply a pot of boiling water. Any suitable size pot will do.

A pressure canner is a relatively precision device. With a bit of care it will last for ages including the gasket. Presto is the best on the market IMO. Pressure canning is not too common due to wrong hype. In UK pressure canning is unknown for example.

Do I miss something?
It's beginning to catch on; Kilner are producing canning jars in Europe. They are in approx same size as US jars (1l ~ US quart+ 10%) & the lids & bands work with both Kilner & Ball jars.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States

I just can't imagine what 55 minutes of pressure cooking must do to kernel corn...nor can I imagine drinking corn juice except maybe in the form of white lightining.

It is so simple to freeze kernel corn. So easy. Just blanch the ear for a couple of minutes, remove kernels from cob, and put it in a freezer bag. The taste is about 90% fresh for several months...but mine never lasts in the freezer around here past a few months because we eat it and love it! We froze well over 130 ears this year...and it is fantastic!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I just can't imagine what 55 minutes of pressure cooking must do to kernel corn...nor can I imagine drinking corn juice except maybe in the form of white lightining.

It is so simple to freeze kernel corn. So easy. Just blanch the ear for a couple of minutes, remove kernels from cob, and put it in a freezer bag. The taste is about 90% fresh for several months...but mine never lasts in the freezer around here past a few months because we eat it and love it! We froze well over 130 ears this year...and it is fantastic!
yeah I froze some 2 ways raw right of the cob and the blanched for 3 minutes. will try both and see which one is best for us. I dont think canning corn is for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
So easy to freeze, if thou have a freezer and the power never fails. That aside I like a freezer for meat but generally dislike frozen vegetables with rare exceptions.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
yeah I froze some 2 ways raw right of the cob and the blanched for 3 minutes. will try both and see which one is best for us. I dont think canning corn is for me.

Some variations on the standard approach for freezing corn you might want to try:

1) The Amish method...which includes one cup of sugar and 4 tsp of salt dissolved in one quart of water and added to the freezer bags of corn....about 4 quarts of corn cut off the cob. This is unbelievable taste!
2) Chop up some fresh jalapenos(to taste) and include with the corn in the freezer bag...either with or without the Amish method. Gives a unique flavor which is outstanding in the dead of winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
will try with the salt. i am type 2 diabetic gotta stay away from sugar. corn itself isnt really good for me but it is so good and my kid loves it.

Ask a Question