Can you plant a "bulb garden"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a bed that I would love to plant with a variety of bulbs that bloom at different times of the year. Is this advisable?

I'm thinking about daffodils for the spring and spider lilies [lycoris] for late summer/fall. I know that day lilies aren't bulbs, but was thinking about having them in the bed (something like Stella Do Oro) to fill in during the rest of the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are still plants, just like any garden. A good feeding with compost will take care of any nutritional needs, and, as far as I know, there is no reason bulbs cannot co-exist ( unless you have something that expands rapidly). I have daffodils, crocus, iris, and peonies in one bed. Just leave enough room between them for growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are still plants, just like any garden. A good feeding with compost will take care of any nutritional needs, and, as far as I know, there is no reason bulbs cannot co-exist ( unless you have something that expands rapidly). I have daffodils, crocus, iris, and peonies in one bed. Just leave enough room between them for growth.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could be a tad "similar" I think. A perennial like a hardy geranium or painted jap fern or heuchera would provide a unifying palette I think......? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could be a tad "similar" I think. A perennial like a hardy geranium or painted jap fern or heuchera would provide a unifying palette I think......? :)
I planted them with Japanese Holly fern AND Japanese Painted fern -- both ferns that I like a lot:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent MMathis....will look great :) Post a picture if you can ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, my lycoris are starting to pop up. I bought some daffodil bulbs the other day. It's too soon here to plant them [October/November is best] but once all of the lycoris are up and I know where each one is located, I can plan for the daffodils.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about snake heads or fritillaries, snowdrops, Leucojum aestivum. Your lawn will be so pretty or cyclamens ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about erythronium? They are truly gorgeous.

Ask a Question