Bulb planter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of bulbs ( hundreds) to plant in an orchard, so long grass hard soil. What long handled planter would people recommend? I have used a small cheap one in the past but it was useless in anything other then well dug soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
There is a narrow blade shovel called a "sharp shooter". We have blackland prairie soil, and Bermuda grass, and our sharp shooter is the only thing that will dig a decent hole. We do occasionally hone the end so it will cut through the grass.
sharpshooter-shovel-blade.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. That looks a good idea. I don’t think the standard bulb planters will do the job. Normally I just use a spade, but there is a lot of bulbs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
1181626.jpeg
Yes. They are called bulb augers. Google search will give myriad offers. There are different size diameter choices. You can also cut off the eye of cheap tent stake augers and they fit a 1/2" drill. I like a 3 foot length but most are 18-30" This pic is the tent stake idea I like because they work out to be 7 dollars. You can buy purpose made augers that cut better as would a drill bit, something useful in rooty soil. Here is mine. I bought a set of 4 tent augers from lowes. They are 24" which is not bad but could be longer.
IMG_20180923_105101.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I have a lot of bulbs ( hundreds) to plant in an orchard, so long grass hard soil. What long handled planter would people recommend? I have used a small cheap one in the past but it was useless in anything other then well dug soil.
Please be careful with the type of drill you use with a bulb auger. I have used one for several years and eventually the drill quit and I only do a few each year. You will need to research that as well. My husband thinks that “high torque/less speed” is correct. That is what I bought to rep,ace the one that bit it. Please let us know how things go. I am concerned that in the soil you are describing this might not be powerful enough. Worth a try though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
That would not work in my little spot of the world. We have more boulders in a hole than dirt...REALLY.......I think it would be dangerous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Please be careful with the type of drill you use with a bulb auger. I have used one for several years and eventually the drill quit and I only do a few each year. You will need to research that as well. My husband thinks that “high torque/less speed” is correct. That is what I bought to rep,ace the one that bit it. Please let us know how things go. I am concerned that in the soil you are describing this might not be powerful enough. Worth a try though.
Yes - The correct tool term is "Drill Driver ". This indicates a 2 speed drill such as in my picture, one speed which is as you describe a lower speed but higher torque setting for the function of sinking screws, and a higher speed for use with small faced drill bits in wood or metal. The device has a clutch which is adjustable to prevent torque overload from breaking your wrist, or more importantly, damaging the work when used by someone who has no idea how the tool works.

Ask a Question