Can you help me identify this pest?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This translucent spread is slowly killing my greens, in particular cucumbers and courgettes. I have applied Provanto bug killer several times but there's more showing every morning.

Attachments

• pest1.JPG
    pest1.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 54
  • pest2.JPG
    pest2.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like a nice collection of spider mites as I see little webs all over. Perhaps @Tetters will respond as she knows what is available in the UK to rid yourself of these things.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like a nice collection of spider mites as I see little webs all over. Perhaps @Tetters will respond as she knows what is available in the UK to rid yourself of these things.
Never heard of these, thanks. This pest coincides with the arrival of many spiders, which build huge webs on tomatoes and trees.
Is there any repellent I can apply to salvage what's left of my cucumbers?

Reddit suggests that it may be caused by slugs and snails, but I guess it can be both spiders and slugs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's rather more likely, with all that slime to be an attack by slugs/snails. We don't use insecticides here @Chuck , and my recommendation for slugs and snails is to go to the greenhouse as it gets dark with some thin rubber gloves and a salt pot - a torch helps too (in case I trip over) As you dispose of the culprits into the pot of salt, it makes you feel better to yell something like ''take that you b****rd'' :devil:

Welcome to the forums @mkffl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it's rather more likely, with all that slime to be an attack by slugs/snails. We don't use insecticides here @Chuck , and my recommendation for slugs and snails is to go to the greenhouse as it gets dark with some thin rubber gloves and a salt pot - a torch helps too (in case I trip over) As you dispose of the culprits into the pot of salt, it makes you feel better to yell something like ''take that you b****rd'' :devil:

Welcome to the forums @mkffl
You're probably correct but it sure looks like some webs to me, but, since I don't have slugs and snails here, what do I know?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slugs was my first thought too. I arm myself with a torch and a plastic milk bottle with the top cut off and filled with boiling water, then drop them in the hot water. The glove is well worth having, slug slime is hellish to get off.
The old style slug pellets had metaldahyde in them, which is horrible stuff, causes brain damage. The new ones have an Iron Phosphate which is billed as being 'organic', a fairly meaningless word, I am not sure what damage it does other than to slugs. This garden seems to be a haven for toads and slow worms, I don't know what the phosphate would do to them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You're probably correct but it sure looks like some webs to me, but, since I don't have slugs and snails here, what do I know?
I did a Blitzkrieg attack around midnight and found dozens of slugs eating the greens. I will keep an eye on the plants because other types of pest may be using them. Thanks both.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would never use slug pellets of any kind. Poisoning slugs and snails also kills the likes of hedgehogs and birds, and those are the little creatures that devour the slugs in the first place. What sort of stupid mentality is that?
As gardeners, so many of us can be so very short sighted and selfish resulting in killing off all our gardening ''friends'' A little bit of live and let live is beneficial all round - but when it comes to slugs and brassicas...... it has to be the torch, gloves and salt pot
1627026781180.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would never use slug pellets of any kind. Poisoning slugs and snails also kills the likes of hedgehogs and birds, and those are the little creatures that devour the slugs in the first place. What sort of stupid mentality is that?
As gardeners, so many of us can be so very short sighted and selfish resulting in killing off all our gardening ''friends'' A little bit of live and let live is beneficial all round - but when it comes to slugs and brassicas...... it has to be the torch, gloves and salt pot View attachment 83624

I'm glad I don't have slugs or snails, so I don't have to worry about this.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That was an interesting read Chuck. The thing is, I am only interested in sorting out the slugs or snails that actually do harm that matters on my land. Throwing any kind of slug bait around is inviting in all the other ones in to join the party.
There are probably lots of products that are sold as safe that actually are not. I would far rather leave nature to get on with it all even if it means a few losses with my plants. Prevention too is always better than ''cure''

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That was an interesting read Chuck. The thing is, I am only interested in sorting out the slugs or snails that actually do harm that matters on my land. Throwing any kind of slug bait around is inviting in all the other ones in to join the party.
There are probably lots of products that are sold as safe that actually are not. I would far rather leave nature to get on with it all even if it means a few losses with my plants. Prevention too is always better than ''cure''
Are you sure you read the whole thing. It was saying that Sluggo (iron phosphate) is NOT nearly as safe as advertised. I know there are beneficial snails but I thought all slugs were bad guys.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I did read it right through, and yes I can see that it is not safe as advertised as I believe applies to quite a few other ''remedies'' and no I don't believe half of what is written on packets.
When it comes to bugs and insects generally, I think they all have their place in the general pattern of life. Although their behaviour is sometimes not so pleasing to us, it doesn't mean they all have to be wiped out. We are selective in which ones to destroy and which to leave alone, however I know that many people (some I have read asking questions on this forum) that see a beetle or a caterpillar on their precious plant and just want to go out and kill it and anything else they see moving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure you read the whole thing. It was saying that Sluggo (iron phosphate) is NOT nearly as safe as advertised. I know there are beneficial snails but I thought all slugs were bad guys.
Leopard slugs are omnivores, they won't eat living plants, but they eat dead plant material and other slugs.

Ask a Question