Can I cut her?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I bought this plant a year ago, it was really really tiny, just a couple of leaves. One year on, she keeps growing taller and taller. I was wondering if it’s possible to cut it at the top, to keep its height in check, but also to encourage the bottom leaves to grow bigger? At the moment it looks quite thin at the bottom. I am not sure whether by cutting it I would do the plant any damage. Thanks in advance for any help. John.

Attachments

• 362130C1-542E-4D44-90D9-75A06AF77A51.jpeg
    362130C1-542E-4D44-90D9-75A06AF77A51.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 64
  • 970AD3E3-EEF2-49D6-B01C-954B4174628A.jpeg
    970AD3E3-EEF2-49D6-B01C-954B4174628A.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From your photos, I thought at first it was growing outside :eek: some sort of Jack and the beanstalk job .....then I noticed the pot !

What plant is it John? Do you have the label? I thought at first it looks like one of the Peperomia family, but didn't think they grew that tall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
LOL isn’t it! To think she was so minute only a year ago. Perhaps I overdid the plant food :) it’s called Heart of Jesus or Caladium. It’s got a beautiful deep red-violet body with deep green, veined leaves. It’s just growing too tall at the top and not sure if cutting it would harm it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your plant is a Caladium, it is a corm, and it will not harm it to cut it back. I would cut it to just above the small bunch of leaves at the base if it were mine. You may want to wait for alternative advice though as I have no personal experience with this particular plant and not only that I'm not 100% sure of its identity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
C. bicolor. Syn.C x horturanum. Known also as. Angel Wings. Elephants Ears and Heart of Jesus.

It's tuberous rooted.Temperature Warm above 70 F whenever possible, never below 60 F.
Light. Well lit but avoid direct sunshine. Water freely during growing season. Mist leaves frequently.

Contact with the skin can cause rash and irritation. If digested, can cause serious stomach upset.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tetters may well be right, I have no reason other than caution for saying this, it is not based on any knowledge of the particular plant, but if I simply wanted it to bush out a bit I would simply nip out the growing tip and see how it reacted. It might just put out one side shoot at the top and continue its vertical climb of course, but if it did you could still take more drastic action. You can always take some more off, putting it back is another thing :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone, thanks so much for your kind replies. I will try and chop one end and see what happens. Will update you! Have a nice day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
John @Faxanadu please would you take a picture of the leaves a bit closer up. They don't look the right shape at all on your present pictures.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will put a link here for you to look at. https://brentandbeckysbulbs.com/similarities-differences-colocasia-alocasia-caladium/?v=7516fd43adaa

I don't think your plant is a Caladium. There are Alocasias and Colocasias also in this group of aroids, and I am wondering if you have one of the Colocasias that will - given the chance grow very much bigger and are very much hardier also.

Before cutting a plant it's best to know definitely what you actually have. Your plant look very healthy, and seems like a naturally taller one to the Caladium, which only grows to about 2 feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say, the pics of what appear to be a climbing plant didn't marry up with the name provided. I have always known Caladiums to have leaves growing from the base. That is why I only gave a basic reply.

Ask a Question