Can dandelions survive in-doors, during the winter season?

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Naturally, dandelions produce seeds that go dormant during the winter season, and when the weather warms up, the seeds begin to germinate... Is there a way to avoid the seeds' dormancy period?

During the winter season, there is no direct sun-light, but only day-light. If i keep my dandelions in-doors, during the winter season, and i place them near the windows, will the day-light be enough for the dandelion to survive, grow and produce flower that will mature to seeds? Once the seeds are produced, and i plant them, will they be able to become plants that will produce seeds on its own, if there is no sun-light, but only day-light? In short: Can the life-cycle of dandelion be repeated in-doors, when there is no direct sun-light?

If day-light isn't enough, can i use 3 light-bulbs that can produce 3000 kelvins and 400 lumens each, which eventually leads to 9000 kelvins and 1200 lumens light in the room? Should dandelions be exposed to 16 hours of artificial light or day-light to get the same results as if they are exposed to sun-light for 8 hours? (i have read that dandelions require 8 hours of sun-light per day)

NOTE: Yes, i know that lower amount of sun-light will lower the taste and the nutritional value, but don't worry, i don't use dandelions for salad, i'm keeping, them, just because i like them.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF

Naturally, dandelions produce seeds that go dormant during the winter season, and when the weather warms up, the seeds begin to germinate... Is there a way to avoid the seeds' dormancy period?
Yes if you sow them in a seed tray put it in the fridge for a few weeks, then put them with some heat underneath they should germinate, don't know how long it will take.

It should be alright to put them on a sunny windowsill. But bare in mind never heard of anyone growing dandelions before, they're usually classed as weeds.

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Yes if you sow them in a seed tray put it in the fridge for a few weeks, then put them with some heat underneath they should germinate, don't know how long it will take.

Is it necessary to put them in the fridge for a few weeks? Isn't it okay when the flower matures to seeds, to take the seeds, and to re-plant them, without waiting?

Ask a Question