Can anyone tell me the name of this plant?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello,

I received the plant pictured as a birthday present but I don't know its name and the person who gave it to me doesn't remember its name.

Can someone out there tell me the name of the plant?

Many thanks.
Unknown flower.jpg
Unknown flower.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
That is a beautiful plant, just be aware it is poisonous!:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you research into them you will be surprised to find out just how many of our favourite plants are poisonous :eek:(y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

That is an attractive red, hybrid Calla-lily (Zantedeschia x cv.). Zantedeschia is a genus of about eight species of Aroids (Araceae) mostly native to South Africa, with the range of one species, the Pink Calla-lily (Z. rehmannii), extending into Mozambique and another, the Spotted Calla-lily (Z. albomaculata), also occurring widely in tropical Africa.

There are many cultivars of Zantedeschia grown as garden and container plants and also for cut flower. The cultivars vary widely in spathe color and other traits. It is not clear if such cultivars are selected forms of a single species, or hybrids between different species. For example the red-spathed cultivars, Zantedeschia x 'Red Alert' and Z. x 'Red Charm' are both reported to be selected forms of Zantedeschia sprengeri, which is now considered to be a synonym of Z. pentlandii.

Zantedeschia
x 'Red Charm' appears to usually have red peduncles (flowering stems) as does another red cultivar known as Zantedeschia x 'Valencia', but this may be variable trait.

Zantedeschia x 'Red Alert' is usually shown with green peduncles similar to the cultivar in the OP. Of course, there are doubtlessly other cultivars as well as unnamed seedlings that may also look similar.

Zantedeschia x 'Indian summer' and Z. x 'Red Sox' also appear similar, but usually have more yellow color on the exterior of the spathe.

Ask a Question