Can a bush kill a tree if it covers it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a large tree in the car park at the back of my property, and a neighbour has an uncared for bush that grows like crazy. I have noticed that the bush is creeping up and over the tree, as per the pictures.

Is it possible that the bush could kill the tree by cutting off it's light?

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2719.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, it can in time. Here in the southern US Kudzu kills many trees very quickly as it can grow up to 1 foot per day, cutting off all sunlight. I don't know what kind of vine that is but it should be cut so as to kill the part climbing up the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Jamesj711. :) If the tree was in your garden then legally you could cut the shrub back. Is the car park a public or private area? Either way it would have to be pruned by your local council or the owner of the car park.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's super complicated. Part of my back yard is owned by someone else - they have no access and idk why they bought it. That's where the bush is. It's all overgrown and 4ft of earth/rubble. I want to buy it from them but they don't reply. Have reported this to the owner of the tree, maybe they can force him to do something before it's too late

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, an unusual situation you are in. As you say it's difficult to understand why they bought the ground if they can't access it. You may be able to track the owner down through land registry regarding buying the land.

As you have located the owner of the tree, they are quite within their rights to cut the shrub back to the boundary which will free the tree. I would be interested to hear any progress made with the situation please and hope it's sorted out soon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I have the owners details and am about to send him a letter letting him know of the shituation. Will keep you updated

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd be worried about the vine stuff from the bush strangling the tree. Vines definitely can and do kill trees.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like Russian vine, aka Mile a minute, guess why, and yes that could well kill the tree.

A friend had a similar piece of land at the end of his garden next to his garage, no known owner and two rights of way across it. It gave him considerable problems when he came to sell, you are right to pursue the problem now.

Ask a Question