Is this blueberry bush salvageable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have two of them, but this one seems to be afflicted the worst. They've always had a few spots that grew then faded, but this was before I knew anything about diseases/fungi and what leaves were SUPPOSED to look like. Now it's just taking over. I just haven't had time this month to religiously spray (though now I will FIND the time as I didn't take it seriously enough...).

First couple pictures are from one week ago (when I meant to create this post), and this morning a grabbed another picture shown last. Now it's all sticks. Is this thing even worth my time trying to save?

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

And one week later (today).
IMG_7181.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO the plant is stressed and this has let fungal disease/diseases take hold. As I said in another post your soil is not acidic enough to grow blueberries and this is what has caused the stress. Keep these plants away from the rest of your plants. I wouldn't waste my time trying to salvage them. Even if you do manage to cure this fungal problem you will have nothing but trouble with them in these growing conditions. If you want to try to grow them they must have acidic soil in the Ph 5 to 5.5 range. The only way you can do this is to plant in an acidic growing medium such as peat moss, give the plants acidifiers. Do this and all of the other things plants need, you will still have to fight the weather. You might even get a few berries as I have seen people grow them but it always seemed to me to be more work than any achievement gained.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yea I agree, they really haven’t been doing well. And they did have blueberries when we bought them, but hardly enough to justify the cost of a larger pot+acidifiers+constant fungal risks. I’ll move them farrrr away and with the wife’s blessing will just trash them. Thank you!

Ask a Question