Green Bean Bushes - what's wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm having a pesky issue with my green bean bushes. I have a lie of plants that started strong. They ARE producing beans but I'm having a lot of leaves that have rusty spots all over them, they wilt and fall off. I've taken to just cutting them off. It seems to be getting the worse and all of the plants are stunted.

I'm attempting to learn what the problem might be, what to do about it, and how to prevent it in the future.

Here's some photos attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_2540-2.jpg
    DSC_2540-2.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_2536-2.jpg
    DSC_2536-2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_2537-2.jpg
    DSC_2537-2.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_2541-2.jpg
    DSC_2541-2.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks to me that your plants are infested with spider mites. At this late date (first of fall) there really isn't much you can do. You might spray with Neem Oil to enable you to get a few more beans but the weather will soon be cooling down enough to stop bean production. I would just pull them up and get rid of ALL debris. Then get your soil ready to plant fall and winter vegetables such as beets, carrots and cole crops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m not an expert but my green bean leafs look similar. I found out I have scale bugs. The armored dark black/ brown ones so I was able to identify what was causing my issue. There are many types of scale bugs some have a protected area others don’t but they all attach to leaves and suck all the moisture from the leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m not an expert but my green bean leafs look similar. I found out I have scale bugs. The armored dark black/ brown ones so I was able to identify what was causing my issue. There are many types of scale bugs some have a protected area others don’t but they all attach to leaves and suck all the moisture from the leaves
I’m in Florida so we have a growing season in the fall early winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. These plants are located in Texas, I barely kept them alive over the summer and only once the temps dropped a little did they start to produce. I’ll inspect the leaves even closer but I do suspect these plants are toast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve discovered the problem is bean mosaic virus. It comes from infected seeds or aphids can carry it. I think our seed batch is infected

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Be sure to remove and burn all debris associated with it...and rotate your bean planting next time.

Ask a Question