Cactus Trouble

Reaction score
Help! I have moved my indoor plants outdoors to enjoy the nice weather. It rained overnight and my cactus, which I thought was in a safe place, got flooded. Is there a way to save it? I dumped the excess water off the top.

Reaction score
It should be fine, I think. Just make sure that the container you have it in has good drainage.
Are there holes in the bottom of the container?
Are there pebbles in the bottom layer?
I would make a few holes right through it with a stick just to get the excess water out. But remember in the desert, when it pours it pours. The cacti's job is to store all the possible water it can. So as long as that plants feet aren't wet (hehe), it should be fine.

Reaction score
That is what I would do too, dump out the water and make sure the drainage holes are all open to drain off all the excess. Cactus's survive all these little accidents unless of course they have been left standing in water for days.. their root system is nothing to speak about .. so they rot. Do worry, yours will survive.

Reaction score
Thank you both for the great tips! I also get it out in the sun for a while so that it would dry out more. So far so good. I think she's gonna make it!

Reaction score
Unless made to stand in water, cacti are just about impossible to kill.

One of my professors who did research on cacti had a greenhouse filled with unique and rare succulents from all of the world (more a personal specimen collection than research subjects). His philosophy was, "Other than water, light, and temperature, no interference!" If a plant fell over, he let it stay fallen over. He didn't prune them or rearrange them.

There were several that had fallen over probably 10 years ago and had recorrected themselves, growing straight up once again. You'd be surprised what natural things can live through. We're so careful to "take care" of our plants, but if they fall over or get soaked in water, they'll probably be okay.

Reaction score
I think it will live if you do not water it again until the soil is very dry. I'd move it to a drier place with good sun to help dry it out. Cactus can take a lot of damage and recover fully, in my experience.

Ask a Question