Buying Seed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wanting to go to Heirloom Seed and some I have might be Heirloom.

Do I go through see what I have and use it or do I just pitch and start fresh?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I might inherit my mom's loom as she downsizes houses. That would be a real heirloom. I have used it to weave a nice soft scarf but the warp wasn't as long as I would like so the scarf is a bit short. Basis of that word is roughly to inherit the family loom.

Beyond that there is no real definition.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say use what you have, especially if the boss says to, but start them a bit early just in case some don't work.
One of the definitions of 'heirloom' when applied to seed is that seed can be saved and will come true, so you might never have to buy seed again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it is small I don't bother trying to separate it fully. Basil for example I pick the stems and shove them all in a paper bag. When they have dried I pull the stems out between my fingers, then shake the bag down well. A lot of the dead flower can be skimmed off the top, but all the broken up bits I simply sow with the seed. Seems to work out fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope I didn't mess up I covered my Petunia Seed with some Peat Moss then read not to cover it.

I bought 400 Petunia Seed you realize how small they are. Them and Coleus.

I got a Soil Blocker and hand seeder. Slow but works well.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
My Boss ( wife ) said use what I have.

She got mad because I thought it was Wednesday and I was getting ready to go fishing Thursday.

big rockpile
Every day is a fishing day if you want it to be. Do not let her go hacking off on you. If you are not careful she will up and sell your fishing poles.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every day is a fishing day if you want it to be. Do not let her go hacking off on you. If you are not careful she will up and sell your fishing poles.
She said something about cutting Firewood to sell to Campers and going fishing.

Was in her room. What's in that Box? A heat press. It went with the Printer. How much did it cost? $5,000 How much did the Embroidery Machine cost? $10,000.

You know I don't think I'll worry about the cost of things I got going on.

big rockpile

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
She said something about cutting Firewood to sell to Campers and going fishing.

Was in her room. What's in that Box? A heat press. It went with the Printer. How much did it cost? $5,000 How much did the Embroidery Machine cost? $10,000.

You know I don't think I'll worry about the cost of things I got going on.

big rockpile
Big Rockpile! you got to be the Big Rockpile in this relationship! you want to go fishing. Big Rockpiles goes fishing!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried one time it was funny. I only live 5 miles from the river.

That is my car out there and I have Drivers License I'm going fishing. Loaded it all up drove down there. Got out found the back was locked, oh dang all the Doors are locked and I can't get to my fishing gear.

I call my wife at work. She calls my Son, seems she had keys.

Now they hide the keys.

I fell other day couldn't get up. Call my wife at work, she calls a neighbor that got me up.

When my wife got home she hollerd a bunch of you don'ts at me without taking a breath. Scared the hell out of me.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a wall for a raised bed with a load of old concrete blocks that were left at the bottom of the garden, they are heavy and the ground is slippery. I tend to be measuring things up with a line and square when the wife comes out, but she isn't stupid, "You be careful. No more dislocated shoulders, or putting your eye out, you only got one left." It's true, and I am being very careful, which makes it all a bit slow.

Ask a Question