Buying a Farm!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been talking about buying a house on here for the last year or so, and we finally got the ball rolling the other day and made an offer on a small farm and it was accepted. We should be moving in at the end of September and I am so thrilled! I will be coming here a lot to get tips and advice from all of you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
that is wonderful. my parents had a small farm. it was nice growing up in all that space as kids. don't have close neighbors etc. just close enough. It set me up for also not buying a house close to folks as an adult. get used to privacy, I guess.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well, it's such a great thing to know that, farm life is really quiet and peaceful, you will surely enjoy it a lot, also, I would like to recommend you to put that farm to work and get some profit from it, you can raise some chickens, pigs, and that sort of animals so you can make some money and produce food to supply around the town, it's such a good business if you want to have some good income whilst living out there, good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm so jealous, I've been looking into buying a farm because living in the city is stifling but I have to pay off my college loans first. Are you going to go all out and become a farmer or are you just going to garden and live in the country? Do you have plans on what you want to grow yet or are you waiting to move in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, that's so wonderful Rosyrain! I hope you'll be very happy there. A small farm sounds fantastic!:D

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
congrats_3.gif

I am jealous, too! :)

Do you have plans on what you want to grow yet or are you waiting to move in?
I'll second this!!

Have you talked to the owners, or did you go through a realtor? (I'm thinking the owners could tell you what perennials are already planted, if any...)

Edited to add: I'm sorry, forgive me. What I meant to say is, have you talked to the original owners? ;) :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have not talked to the owners as we are going through a real estate agency. They currently have 3 cows, chickens, and bunnies on the farm plus mature gardens and fruit trees.

I think we are going to get sheep and sell the wool, chickens for eggs...and maybe poultry, and a cow or two at some point. I am going to take full advantage of the gardens and grow lots of veggies and flowers to sell. I am SO EXCITED!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosyrain, you have made a great decision! We bought our small farm 10 years ago, and have enjoyed it thoroughly.
A word of advice--live on the farm for a year before you do much in the way of gardens or livestock. You need to have soil tests, discover prevailing winds, get a chicken coop and outside run built, look into the breeds of sheep, chickens, and cattle that do well in your area, and find markets for the eggs, flowers, vegetables, and wool.
We have a small flock of hens, six vegetable gardens, bee hives, and a pasture that is currently a wildlife refuge. We had all sorts of ideas when we moved here, and some worked out well and others didn't. Don't ever get discouraged--things work out. And remember to sit outside, listen to the birds and critters, and realize just how lucky you are!

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I actually have a farm. I inherited my farm from my father.MY father inherited this farm from his father, his father inherited from his father. The history of inheritance of this farm goes back to many generations. We have been living in this place since 400 years and my ancestors were farmers, who acquired land from the king about 300 years ago. We still have the contract.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, this looks like an inspiring thread. I hope you will post updates on this thread, @Rosyrain, I'm very interested.

Some 7 years from now, I will be retiring from my daytime job and hopefully will receive a substantial retirement pay. One plan is to buy a 1 hectare land to be a part orchard and part vegetable garden. Maybe we will construct a hut or a small resting house so we can stay there over the weekend. At this early, we are already excited with that prospect.

Reaction score
That is just great! My dream is to retire in a farm with a fishpond where I'll be self-sufficient and eat foods only from my garden and pond. My grandpa who died at the ripe old age of 94 told me that if I want to live longer, too, I should retire early and start a farm where I can work and exercise and eat the freshest vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's excellent news, congratulations! :)

Ask a Question