Brown Patches From Dogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I think it's the ammonia from the urine but I don't know if i would be in a hurry either to get the dog something to ingest to prevent that. If supplements will works then at least the dog will benefit. I'm just a bit weary of feeding him something to prevent brown lawn patches that might affect him in the short or long run. Just water the spot in the lawn and it should grow back pretty green and fine.

Pardon me for saying this but anything that dogs would ingest for that acidic urine might cause the dog damage in the long run. The dog's kidneys are weak and can easily be weakened by ingesting something that has no approved therapeutic claims. I agree that there are some hard chemical in the dog's urine but it can be rinsed off with water for the health of the grass. Please don't give the dog anything to soften the urine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was just looking at my back yard tonight and I probably have about 40 yellow burns from my 3 large dogs. It looks just horrible, but I don't want to give them any supplements for fear it might hurt them in the long run. I am going to try to start following them and rinsing where they urinate with water. Any suggestions on how to replant those areas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you! I will check with my vet and see what they suggest. It seems like the spots have gotten worse this winter, so maybe all the watering of the grass in the summer helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really hope that works out. I think you should talk wit the vet too as you have three large dogs and all three have that effect on your lawn. It has to be something in their diet. I'm sure you vet can recommend something safe. 40 patches standing in your lawn cannot be a good thing. Let's hear what the vet can do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The vet told me that the pills don't really help, but that it is sometimes the chlorine in the water. I am going to get another opinion, but in the meantime I am rinsing the spots immediately after they go with water. I am hoping that dilutes the urine enough to prevent the burning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Do know someone with a couple of large Bitch dogs that had that problem & I remember them starting to add Tomato juice to there food, which I do know worked for them as the burn marks stopped there after. But I'm no vet So I'd think Any change of diet like that should be passed by a qualified vet first just to be safe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you Daren for the suggestion of adding tomato juice to their food. I will ask our vet about it and see if he has ever heard of doing that. I wonder if my dogs would eat their food with tomato juice on it? I guess we could try it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had no idea there were products to resolve this problem. We just moved to the farm we live on now back in October. We have a huge yard and I try to contain my two dogs to using only one area of it for eliminating. However, there are times when they simply will not go there. I hate the thought of having bare spots spread out all over our beautiful yard. I am going to look into both the supplements and the treatment for the yard to try and prevent the grass from being killed further.

Ask a Question