Brown Patches From Dogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
What do you guys give your dogs to help with the brown/yellow patches that your grass gets from your dog eliminating their waste on it? I have tried picking up the messes immediately and that doesn't seem to help. I think it may be from the acid in the urine? Is there anything I can give to my dog that's natural or simply put on the grass that is safe for dogs that can help with the brown grass problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I recently seen a product in PetSmart that was for this issue. I think it will most likely be from the urine, I had a similar issue, it resolved on its own and the grass went back to normal. The packaging of the product was clear of its purpose, just look in the dog isle, it will most likely be near the flea medicines, nail trimmers and brushes. Not sure what the product contains though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, there is a supplement you can give dogs that neutralizes the acid in their urine so that it doesn't kill the grass. I was actually considering it for my dog too because she has a spot she likes to pee in and it's like a circle of brown grass in my back yard. I was going to do a bit of research to make sure it was safe to give her first though. She already has so many gassy issues! I do sleep in the same room with the fur child. If I find something good, I will let you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh you should see my yard! There is a huge patch of bald spot where my dog peed in the winter and now it showed. It looks horrible because it is very close to my flower area.

I will go to Petsmart to see the product that @Rudygar mentioned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm lucky I don't get brown spots in my lawn because of all the clover, they say if you pour water on the spot right after the dog pees it will help cut down on the lawn burning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Fernsdaddy, that is true, because it dilutes the urine. BTW, that is a beautiful dog in your avatar. What is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you I think she beautiful too, Fern is a large Chihuahua who is trying to become a small size puppy, with long walks and less goodies after dinner she is only 5 lb from be a super model (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Both my Chihuahua's are large also. Eight and nine pounds. Healthier when they are larger, IMHO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I could get her down to 8 or 9 lb I would be happy She was 23 lb before I put her on a diet its hard to say no to her knowing her med history when I got her she was just a little over 4 lb and that is skinny for a 2 year old Chihuahua so I kind of over did it with her.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a small lawn in the front yard where the dogs sometimes go for their nature's call. The bermuda grass gets some brown spots due to the acid in their waste - be it urine or feces. And since the dogs don't go out without a companion, what we do is to hose down the spot where the dog did it's thing - the acid will be diluted and the grass will remain green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My backyard is covered with pea gravel, no grass -- so I have no worries about brown spots -- but a neighbor across the street has grass in his front yard, it can become unsightly if not hosed down right away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small lawn in the front yard where the dogs sometimes go for their nature's call. The bermuda grass gets some brown spots due to the acid in their waste - be it urine or feces. And since the dogs don't go out without a companion, what we do is to hose down the spot where the dog did it's thing - the acid will be diluted and the grass will remain green.

I do exactly the same! The grass always repairs itself overtime. I don't feel its necessary to buy any products because water works just as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's the ammonia from the urine but I don't know if i would be in a hurry either to get the dog something to ingest to prevent that. If supplements will works then at least the dog will benefit. I'm just a bit weary of feeding him something to prevent brown lawn patches that might affect him in the short or long run. Just water the spot in the lawn and it should grow back pretty green and fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This happened at my parents house too! I don't think there is much you can do to have beautiful green grass and a dog. My parents would keep the dog in one area of the yard to use the bathroom when she wasn't on walks. It eventually turned to just dirt and mud. She passed a away a few years ago and the grass starting coming back in the area.

Ask a Question