Broad Micronutrients

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll admit I was wrong about the root system of Alfalfa. I would plant it next week if it only grew in alkaline soils as my dad proved it wouldn't when he tried to grow hay. As I remember your main cover crop is peas or some type of legume where you don't mow it and let it go to seed for added nitrogen. I have tried peas many years ago where I just let the plants go until frost when I mowed it. My front tine tiller did not manage to cut the tap roots and the entire root system pulled up and fouled the tines. Perhaps my tiller wasn't up to the task. I see in your photos that the rest of your garden is made with rows where your crops are. How do you make them, with a side buster?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, I've used field (cow) peas extensively for cover/rotation summer crop... in spite of "experts" on this forum proclaiming that N2 fixing is an urban myth, soil tests prove otherwise, LOL. With the peas, you must shred closely first BEFORE ever tilling or you will have the problems you encountered.

However, I'm always looking for better...and this alfalfa experiment now about 14 months old is proving to me to have spectacular potential in all types of home gardening. Soil tests don't lie and I've seen spectacular results thus far. Very easy to prepare a seed bed after shredding.

One huge plus to alfalfa is it can also serve as a winter cover...all seasons. Survived 8 degrees here this winter. Seed is relatively cheap. The only downside I have seen is it isn't as good as peas at weed control...initially, but after a winter it chooks everything out, everything. Alfalfa is likely to become my "go to" cover/rotation/soil builder in the future.

For row crops, like corn, okra, etc. , I use a pair of middle busters to make raised rows that are easily cultivated and survive our floods. Its important to always rotate after a crop and that is where the cover crops shine.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm 70 odd years old and handle a quarter acre garden using a planter's hoe. My cover crops are 'stinging nettle', perennial rye, marigolds, marsh mellow and various strappy-leaf grasses. Basically I go through the beds one-at-a-time and clean up last years crop - leaving unfinished plants where they are, pruning some, and planting the new crops with a top dressing of homemade compost.
I then leave the plants to their own devices but keep an eye on the situation. I have four poultry pens and rotate the hens between the pens. This saves me weeding about a quarter of the garden and provides good compost from the deep litter and scratchings. I have a bag of pelletised chook* manure in reserve, a large box of powdered kelp plus an area of lucerne for mowing and several comphrey plants.
*accuse the ockerisms please.

Ask a Question