Bringing back memories

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I find myself remembering the first time I saw tomatoes growing in my yard. It happened by chance really. I can't boast that I had actually planted the tree because I did not. I just thrown the tomato seeds through the kitchen window, with no thought or inclination a actual tomato plant would grow. After I few week I kind of noticed the vine but wasn't sure what it was. Then, as if by magic little tomatoes was born. I watched that tomato vine like a mother hen caring for her chicks. Needless to say experience bore my love for gardening. Watching a seedling take root and the process it undergoes to become a plant. Spectacular.
Help me bring some memories of how you started your garden.

Reaction score
That sounds like a wonderful surprise. I'd love to go out to my garden and see some random plants sprouting out of no where. :) That's such a beautiful memory to have. I can see why your love for gardening sprung up just like your plant did. My memories aren't nearly as magical, but they do mean something to me.

My grandmother was constantly gardening and had a beautiful fig tree in the backyard. It started off as a twig from her father's garden and grew into this massive tree over the years. She used to take me out to pick the figs off of the tree. It was my favorite time of the year. I ended up falling in love with the idea of picking my own fruit and slowly started a garden of edibles with her.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Oh my! What an awesome memory. Cheers to your grandmother for her love of gardening and for introducing you to it. I find so many times parent,grandparents,extended family and the list can go on tend not to pass on simple passions. I am happy your grandmother shared hers' with you and now you have developed a deep love for gardening yourself.. Just sweet..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
When we were staying in the ancestral home of my husband, there was this tomato plant that just grew in the small portion of the pavement. Even outside our property, we would water it until it bore some flowers. We were surprised when flowers turned into small berries and it was prolific such that at one time there were 80 fruits. However, since it is in the street, some of the fruits are being picked by the passersby. Maybe we had harvested about 30 pieces of tomatoes. That's the first time I was exposed to gardening.

Reaction score
When we were staying in the ancestral home of my husband, there was this tomato plant that just grew in the small portion of the pavement. Even outside our property, we would water it until it bore some flowers. We were surprised when flowers turned into small berries and it was prolific such that at one time there were 80 fruits. However, since it is in the street, some of the fruits are being picked by the passersby. Maybe we had harvested about 30 pieces of tomatoes. That's the first time I was exposed to gardening.

Wow! There were 80 fruits at one time? That's pretty amazing. I can imagine that passerbys would take advantage of it. I would have probably done the same, honestly. I do the same when I pass the orange fields by my grandmother's house. I'm glad you were exposed to gardening through something as awesome as that. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I fell in love with gardening when my boyfriend gave my my first miniature rose. It was a beautiful rose with tiny, red flowers. Taking care of it was a lot of fun, so I immediately started dreaming about getting another one.
Now, I have a lot of miniature roses and many other plants:D

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Wow @ Alexiskilgannon and Corzhens, such awesome memories.If I happen to be passing by an saw tomatoes I would surely help myself (y).

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was a school project that started me gardening when I was about 7 years old. It is awesome to watch a plant go from being a very tiny seed to providing food or beauty in the form of flowers.

Reaction score
Planting and growing tomatoes is just easy. Like what you had said you don't expect that a tomato plant will grow from the seeds that you had just throw through your kitchen window. If you had that experience it will really brings back memories to you. And I am sure that now you learn to appreciate the art of gardening because of that memories that you still cherished in your life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wow! There were 80 fruits at one time? That's pretty amazing. I can imagine that passerbys would take advantage of it. I would have probably done the same, honestly. I do the same when I pass the orange fields by my grandmother's house. I'm glad you were exposed to gardening through something as awesome as that. :)

Speaking of passersby, we once had a guava tree right beside the front fence. And when it bears fruits, passersby would be picking. We just let them though because they are only guavas. In our house now, our mango tree has a big branch dangling on the fence with the fruits, numbering more than 50, on the vacant lot. But fortunately, the neighbors are not picking the fruits and just waiting for us to offer them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Speaking of passersby, we once had a guava tree right beside the front fence. And when it bears fruits, passersby would be picking. We just let them though because they are only guavas. In our house now, our mango tree has a big branch dangling on the fence with the fruits, numbering more than 50, on the vacant lot. But fortunately, the neighbors are not picking the fruits and just waiting for us to offer them.
Maybe you could hang a little Welcome But don't Be Greedy sign:ROFLMAO: Corzhens!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For the last 12 years I love to walk around the yard to see where tomatoes are coming up, I share my tomatoes with the squirrels and they end up planting them all over the yard, I never knew that the seeds would make it over the winters here in New England.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My favorite memory is of green bean! I planted from seeds and when I finally saw the tiny green bean growing, I was ecstatic and thought of it as such miracles. I am not known for having green thumb, since everything I touched seem to die, but the green beans proved me wrong :)

Ask a Question