plants brought because they bring back memories?

Reaction score
i wasn't sure how to get the title to make sence.

but i kinda notice i sometimes buy plants/trees because of some past memory. anyone else do that?

i have a weeping willow because at one point we had one in the back yard. i remember when it was really big and the branches about hung to the ground, i trimmed some of the inner branches out so you could walk into it like a little room. i'm hoping i can do that with this one some time in the future.

the fruit trees i got i think came from going to an old abandoned house near where we lived. the driveway was lined with fruit trees so pretty much all summer you could walk over there and pick something,

and the thing that recently made me think about this, on impulse i got two snowball bushes. i had never seen them in a store. i remember my mother had one. i think she had dug up part of one from where we used to live or something. they make me think of her.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd actually buy calla lilies just because they would remind me to my dad and my country. There are a few plants that remind me of my grandma, mostly ferns and other indoors plants :) She loved her plants so much! She wasn't a good gardener tho, she never complicated her life growing picky plants, like for example African violets. So whenever I think of my grandma and plants... simplicity comes to mind :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a good thought that I have never put into words. There are a few plants that seem to stir something down deep that makes me purchase them when ever I see them. Thanks for helping me find words for a thought that I did not understand or even know I had.

Reaction score
Zinnias, marigolds and tomatoes were some of my dad's favorites as well as my mom's. Really, almost anything that I plant would be something that they would have liked, they did love their gardens.

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a peace lily because it was the first plant that I had in my first grown up apartment. That's the only plant that I really have a specific memory attached to.

Reaction score
I do that too, plant to recapture that magic. I like this thread, it gave me some ideas for my shady area. I remember growing up with all kinds of plants, and gardens.

When I was little, I fell off the porch into a rose bush, but I still love them.

On a different note, I actually did have an Iris that was passed down thru the family. It was my great grandmothers and when she died, they passed it down to my grandmother and so on tho my mother is still here. It was moved when people changed houses also. They would uproot it and put it in a new garden. I kept it for a number of years before it died. It's ok because my daughter is not interested, it would have died with me anyway.

Reaction score
Carnations. When I was little they were everywhere but I don't hardly see them around anymore except maybe at restaurants. I've bought potted ones over the years and still adore the scent of them and even the texture of the petals.

Ask a Question