Books on self sustainability in the garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've really taken a keen interest lately to the idea of self-sustainability in the garden - and I've been trying to read up as much as I can on the topic!

Just wondering if anyone has any good book recommendations that have some sort of tips/strategies for a beginner at self sustainability. I want to educate myself about it before I start jumping in head first...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Decide how you are going to practically preserve food in the home. Preservation is the route to self sustainability. I am almost an expert on preservation and practically live on what I grow or buy in season. No book is going to help much. I don't know a book that encompasses a wide range of information.

I use the internet when I focus on one method and need information. The garden knowledge was mostly trial and error. One is always at the mercy of the elements, bugs, and the plants themselves.

Pressure canning, freezing, dehydrating, lacto-fermenting, storage bins, all have their uses. Even some commercial food has merit.

Here is my efforts when I decided to keep records. http://durgan.org/2011/

Ask a Question