Blueberry Juicing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/July 2015/24 July 2015 Blueberry Juicing/HTML/ 24 July 2015 Blueberry Juicing
Thirty four pounds of blueberries were picked from a grower and processed into twenty five liters of juice. The cost of berries was $2.25 per pound. Each liter of juice used 1.36 pounds of berries for a cost of about $3.00 per liter.Blueberries have almost no gross fiber so elaborate straining is not required. In fact, they could probably be beat into a slurry then canned. My berries were cooked, beat into a slurry, strained using a Victorio Juicer, pressured canned in liter jars at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage.Annotated pictures depict the process.

dsc_502224%20july%202015%20blueberry_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think you did well! 34 lbs = 25 liters of juice sounds like a win-win to me!

Reaction score
Something just occurred to me... are you prepping for something, Durgan? Just curious. It's just you post so many threads about canning and preserving, that thought you occur to me now. If that is true, for what kind of event are you prepping for?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
All the canning is produce for my own consumption during the off Season, about six months. I consume about one to two liters of various daily, often mixing in the drinking glass.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
How healthy. Isn't blueberry high in antioxidant?
I've heard cranberry juice is good for arthritis. I wonder if blueberry is the same. Does anyone know?.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I take all those anecdotal claims lightly. My view is take such claims under advisement and try, it might help. I do cranberries when they come into season.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WUPPJ 15 October 2014 Cranberry Juice
About 25 pounds of cranberries was ordered from Johnstone’s Cranberries in Bala, Ontario. Cost was $60.00 plus $30.00 shipping. This was made into 25 liters of juice. Each liter has about a liter of berries or about one pound. Cranberries have almost no juice so each cooking pot had 12 liters of water added to create juice. Method: A liter of water per pound added,cooked for about 20 minutes until soft, beat into a slurry with the hand blender, strained in 2mm screen food mill, placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QMSJD 18 October 2014 Pure Raw Cranberry Juice
A 12 0z or 340 gram package of raw cranberries was made into pure juice by processing through a Champion Juicer.Cost of berries was $2,50. Eight ounces of juice was obtained. The juice is thick, extremely sour, similar to a lemon, but drinkable.Probably a three ounce serving would be acceptable for a daily serving. Pictures depict the process. Compare this with the commercial versions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have eaten blueberry and I'd say I like it. But with the juice, I still have to taste it. A colleague I know who buys blueberry juice said that it is similar to prune juice which is good for the digestive system - fights constipation. However, except for pineapple and orange juice, other fruit juice are generally expensive so it's not easy to buy just to sample

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
There is no comparison between store juice and the home juice. My view is no commercial juice is fit for human consumption. It is often colored water. I often mix and match the juices in the drinking glass.

Ask a Question