Blueberry Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have multiple new blueberry bushes I am planting and while some look great, others have red spots on the leaves which I’m thinking is fungal. I know the owner said they had issues with fungus after a wet year this year but they had treated all bushes and it looks like on many of them the new growth is free from issues as far as I can tell. We have a root dip (Oxidate 5.0) that is supposed to treat anything in the soil, but I’m wondering if anyone else has advice?

Attachments

• AC592BC8-DBE8-428A-A33A-D335D41C11A1.jpeg
    AC592BC8-DBE8-428A-A33A-D335D41C11A1.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 8C1C5C55-55AF-4E3B-9349-B2AC73B34A70.jpeg
    8C1C5C55-55AF-4E3B-9349-B2AC73B34A70.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 7
  • 171C371E-74FB-4474-966F-DC2F2DD64F43.jpeg
    171C371E-74FB-4474-966F-DC2F2DD64F43.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 8
  • F678E5AA-F785-4C07-8E89-960A0EFABC79.jpeg
    F678E5AA-F785-4C07-8E89-960A0EFABC79.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks like a phosphorus deficiency to me. The last photo does appear to have some kind of fungal leaf spot (the roundish white spots with brownish borders).

If they aren't planted, plant them but make sure the soils pH is right for blueberries. The potting mix may be missing nutrients. If the soils pH is correct for blueberries, that should straighten itself out since there should be ample phosphorus in the soil. If not, then maybe the root dip is suppressing phosphorus uptake somehow... just a wild thought.

On a side note, never water your blueberry bushes with city, well, or creek water unless you know how to counteract the carbonates they contain because it will raise the pH of the soil and cause you problems. Rain water or distilled is preferred.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are in pots and when you plant them in the ground they should be ok if the soil pH is correct. The soil pH for blueberries should be in the 4.5 to 5.5 range.

The ideal pH for growing blueberry plants is 4.5. They can tolerate a pH of 3.8 – 5.5 if the organic matter content is high. Google

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your soil pH is higher than the soil recourments you can always add plain peat moss to the growing area to lower the pH into the appropriate range.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks like a phosphorus deficiency to me. The last photo does appear to have some kind of fungal leaf spot (the roundish white spots with brownish borders).

If they aren't planted, plant them but make sure the soils pH is right for blueberries. The potting mix may be missing nutrients. If the soils pH is correct for blueberries, that should straighten itself out since there should be ample phosphorus in the soil. If not, then maybe the root dip is suppressing phosphorus uptake somehow... just a wild thought.

On a side note, never water your blueberry bushes with city, well, or creek water unless you know how to counteract the carbonates they contain because it will raise the pH of the soil and cause you problems. Rain water or distilled is preferred.
We have well water for watering as that is our only option. We normally have lots of rain each year but have had a strange drought all year long. Our land is usually marsh in the back and is dry and dust. What do you do to help with the well water issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have well water for watering as that is our only option. We normally have lots of rain each year but have had a strange drought all year long. Our land is usually marsh in the back and is dry and dust. What do you do to help with the well water issue?
Capturing some rainwater from a gutter or something is really your best option.

If you just have to use well water then you should order this and then pour enough distilled white vinegar into the water to lower the pH down to a 4.5 or 5.0. Everyones water reacts differently so it isn't the same for me as it will be for you or anyone else. You could do a gallons worth and then you know how much to use per gallon and then check it again at a later date.

Ask a Question