Blue lake turning to string bean

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the last 2 years my blue lake bush beans have at least 60% turn into runner string beans. Has the strain been compromised somehow? I have tried three different suppliers and they are all doing the same thing. Very frustrating as even after snapping them and removing the string from both sides they still have strings in them when you eat them. Anyone else having this problem?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, I have also noticed that. My spring crop had a lot of strings. It is very interesting that you had them also. Maybe it has been compromised.

I'm planting a fall crop of pole beans and hopefully it won't have strings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't care for Ky wonder but might have to plant them. Talked to a lot of people that have the same problem we are having from different parts of the country

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I had the problem also on the cross Kentucky x Blue Lake. This fall I'm going with some different pole green beans including Burpee's stringless, Logan Giant, and Rattlesnake and see how those turn out.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My increasing preference for pole beans is directly proportional to my increasing age. :cool:

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Jade stringless bush beans are my favorite for taste and they produce really well for a bush bean.

Ask a Question