Bush beans (blue lake) question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
Another veg I have had difficulty growing is beans. I had a decent pole bean crop year before last but with my other plants needing support as well, I wanted to try bush beans.

I planted 10 beans on 3/25. 8 have sprouted and are now about 3" tall. I'm planning on planting another row this weekend. And then 1 more 2 weeks from then.

I want to keep 4-5 of these in each row. Seeing how many came up I will probably plant fewer beans further apart in the next row or maybe start them inside.

Can I thin them out now? Is it possible to transplant from one part of the ground to the other? So I can make better use of the small space they will be in? How close together is too close for bush type beans?

This part of my garden get direct sunlight from 7am to 2:30pm.

Any advice from here to max production?
IMG_20170404_105104.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
This row of beans is as far to the right as I could put them without being under the shadow of the tree... Subsequent rows will go towards the left of this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know which direction your garden faces but you must remember that the sun and shadows change. If the tree is to the west of your plantings more than likely your plantings will get less sun than needed. It depends on how tall the tree is. I plant my bush beans 2 seeds about every 10 inches and thin the weakest seedling. Individual rows are about 1 1/2 feet apart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Blue Lake are climbing French beans, I've grown them a few times.

I like to have at least 40 plants on the go at a time.
Pick the beans whilst young and tender, every other day, and they'll crop for weeks.
Don't thin them.
They grow quicker when they find support, provide some now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Blue Lake are climbing French beans, I've grown them a few times.

I like to have at least 40 plants on the go at a time.
Pick the beans whilst young and tender, every other day, and they'll crop for weeks.
Don't thin them.
They grow quicker when they find support, provide some now.
Over here we have Blue Lake bush and pole beans. I grow BLB every year. I tried the pole beans but it so hot and dry in the summer it is difficult to keep them alive. I normally get three pickings from the bush types. As far as the beans go I can't tell the difference between the two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
I don't know which direction your garden faces but you must remember that the sun and shadows change. If the tree is to the west of your plantings more than likely your plantings will get less sun than needed. It depends on how tall the tree is. I plant my bush beans 2 seeds about every 10 inches and thin the weakest seedling. Individual rows are about 1 1/2 feet apart.
We face the south. That tree is to the east of my garden. The sun comes up just east south east of my garden and the front of my house has the direct sun without shade till 4 pm. That tree has leaves all year round too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
Beans love sun, and love to be crowded. I plant a foot-wide row with seeds an inch or so apart, broadcast by hand. They don't transplant that well, though. I would leave them crowded and buy more seed. Blue Lane pole beans are somewhat tastier than the bush variety, in my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
So don't thin them at all? They are about an inch apart now.

Ask a Question