Blue and Yellow perennial combinations

Reaction score
These two contrasting colors are said to be the most popular, probably because they make such striking displays, when combined together and look good at any time of the year.
I particularly like this combination, as it always looks fresh and bright and stands out in any situation, with any sort of background and in any type of light.
When choosing plants for this combination you are spoilt for choice, with plants and color hues to suit every situation and every taste, from the palest of yellows and blues to the brightest of yellows and deep cobalt blues.

Two of my favorite combinations for a sunny spot are;-

Yellow Hemerocalis (Daylillies) with either Agapanthus or the spiky blue flowers of Veronica Spicata, plus a yellow leaved Phormium, to offset the deep cobalt blue flowers of the Veronica, when the Daylillies close up in early evening.

and on a smaller scale

Yellow Gazanias with the deep blue flower spikes of Veronica Spicata Nana, offset with blue and yellow Sisyrinchiums, all of which, in my climate, give me an almost year round display.

What plants and color hues do you choose for your blue and yellow combinations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can't say that I have ever seen a garden devoted to these specific two color combinations. I often see gardens filled with roses, camelias, or azaleas in varying shades of red, and white flowers are popular as well. Purple in varying shades is also more frequently seen than blue. The only yellow flowers I have had in my own garden have been marigold.

Reaction score
I can't say that I have ever seen a garden devoted to these specific two color combinations. I often see gardens filled with roses, camelias, or azaleas in varying shades of red, and white flowers are popular as well. Purple in varying shades is also more frequently seen than blue. The only yellow flowers I have had in my own garden have been marigold.

Thats such a shame ChanellG, as its such a striking combination, and is often seem in wildflowers, that naturally combine themselves into this color range, without any help from mankind :) and there are many gardens around the world. with varying shades of blue and yellow as their main color theme.

Here are some examples of blue and yellow combinations

Aster-Sapphire-Coreopsis-Full-Moon-J014692-1.jpg

Asters and Coreopsis

Wildflower-Walk-in-July-ⓒ-michaela-medina-thegardenerseden.com_.jpg

Rudbeckias and Veronica Spicata

blue and yellow panies.jpg

Two tone yellow and blue pansies

041106_golden_daylily_siberian_iris_med.jpg

Golden daylillies with dark blue irises

Rudbeckia-hirta-Becky-Mixed-ⓒ-Michaela-at-TGE.jpg

Veronica Spicata, Penstemons and Rudbeckias

I can only think, the reason you haven't seen them, is because the gardeners in your area prefer to see white, reds, pinks and purples, in their gardens and containers :)

Varying shades of blue and yellow have been popular color combinations for many,many years, in fact they are regarded as one of the most popular classic combinations, as they compliment such a wide range of colors, from apricot, orange and peachy tones as well as all the purples.

Thankfully we are all different ChanellG :) and maybe you are someone, who prefers to see reds, pinks and purples in your garden, but then, that is what our gardens are all about - our very own little pieces of paradise :)

If you feel you would like to try some yellow in your garden, but really prefer reds and pinks, then choosing a yellow with apricot, peachy or orange hues, would possibly be more appealing to you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love, love, love those two-toned pansies! I think I have only seen them blue and white, not blue and yellow. I think I have also seen purple and white, but... I love irises and I hope to have some soon. I finally got the daylilies to come up again, but the flowers are real scraggly. They are kind of an orangey-yellow so maybe by the time they are gorgeous again I'll have some blue irises :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
A very nice combination of blue Allium caeruleum, native to central Asia, and yellow Allium moly, native to Italy, France, Spain, Algeria, and Morocco.

Ask a Question