Best

Reaction score
My brother is a raw vegan so I thought a good Christmas present for him would be a dwarf orange tree.
41gZ4QUNAHL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

Or a lemon tree

31RznZeSa5L._SL500_SL135_.jpg

They are around the same price range $20-$30. Does anyone know which is easier to grow? Does one produce more that the other or produce during the winter?

Jed

Reaction score
Both are winter cropping and don't like frost. I found lemons are more versatile as they are available over a longer period and can be stored to ripen in the cupboard.They can also be used not quite ripe as zest, that is, grated to flavour food.
My son's a vegan but he cooks food as much as eats it raw.
Your brother may prefer the orange tree purely because of his raw diet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had a lemon tree but it didn't produce any fruits. I was doing my best - I watered it regularly and I put it in a sunny place. I waited for about a year and nothing happened. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Oranges are more delicious than lemons so I think orange tree will be a better present. I'm sure your brother will be happy:)

Jed

Reaction score
I had a lemon tree but it didn't produce any fruits. I was doing my best - I watered it regularly and I put it in a sunny place. I waited for about a year and nothing happened. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Oranges are more delicious than lemons so I think orange tree will be a better present. I'm sure your brother will be happy:)

Is your lemon a grafted tree and how old is it? It may need more time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Is your lemon a grafted tree and how old is it? It may need more time.

Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, it died. When I bought it, it had fruits, so I think it was grafted. It stopped producing fruits after I had put it in my room.

Reaction score

Lemon trees yield well when they are pruned regularly. A good feed of fertilizer does the job most often.
I have tried this trick which a local gardener taught me and it worked. A couple of months before the fruiting season strip the tress off old leaves, you will find fresh growth with lots of flowers and fruits in its season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think you are right, thank you!:) I no longer have this lemon tree, but your advice may come in handy in the future. I didn't prune my tree, so probably this is why it didn't' produce any fruits:(

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses! I think I will go with the lemon tree since they produce longer. He loves to eat raw lemons, I don't understand how.

Reaction score
Just curious. Is that Dwarf Orange Tree also called a Calamondin Orange Tree? If it is then I have seen someone cultivating one. Be wary though about making sure that the tree will make it past the first season, so to say. I heard that some people sell such plants made from graftings which are not really viable. They will only last long enough to be sold. Then they just die.

Ask a Question