Best full climbing Vine / Ivy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Replacing my wood fence with, chain-link fence.

I will have 140 ft long 6 ft tall Chain link fence in full sun most of the time.
Ground is damp, water table is about 3 ft
Location East Coast of Florida , New Smyrna Beach Fl 32168

I am looking to get full cover, year around as much possible.
Need not to be a flowery based plant.

Hope along with dense cover, it would be nice if it was to cover to the ground.

Just want to thank everyone ahead of time for your replys / help.

Bob P

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
There are several varieties of Passflora vine that grow very nicely in Florida. They are fast growers and sturdy, have flowers and fruit, nice big leaves for good coverage. You might ask at a garden center (not big box store), but an actual nursery about the variety that grows the best in your location. Sun is not a problem but the water table may be a problem. Most tropical plants need excellent drainage or they are susceptible to root rot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Beverly for your help.

Due these stay close to the sub-strait. ..How often do you have trim, ( Prune back ) My fence line is 180 ft long

Thanks again Beverly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I do know that passifloras have quite long taproots. What would happen if it hit water, i don't know. I suppose they might start growing horizontal instead of vertical or they could just rot, but this would be a good question to ask your local nurseryman at the garden center.

180 x 6' is some fence. It really depends on what species of passiflora you grow how much of that fence it would cover, or given the space it could possibly cover the entire fence. Another question for the nurseryman. I grew Passiflora edulis, and a neighbor down the street grew the same. It covered his entire house. I don't think he ever pruned it. I would usually whack my vine back once a year. Again, there are dozens of species of passiflora and this is not true for all of them. How often you trim it depends on the vine and also how tidy you are as a gardener. The garden centers in Florida are knowledgeable about what passiflora would suit your needs. Again, i recommend you ask a nurseryman in your area. Tell him or her your situation and what you would like from a vine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok Thank you......I'll contact several Nursery's here and see what they recommend. .

Thank you very much for your time, I very much appreciate your input

Bob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Do Clematis grow there? As there are some quite tolerant varieties available as long as you remember this quote 'Head in the sun, feet in the shade' cover newly planted root with large stone to keep damp but protected from extremes of weather.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for the help on Fence cover.

Being the area needed to be covered, is 180 ft x 6 ft. What would you do / use ?

Thanks again Bob

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Consider a Lady Bank's rose. I don't recommend this rose often because it gets HUGE. One Lady Bank's would cover your fence in about two growing seasons (no kidding). It blooms once in the spring, a lovely small yellow rose, is evergreen, and practically thornless. It can be pruned severely if you want, but that just encourages growth.
It also comes in white, which has a more restrained growth.

Ask a Question