Best beginner climbing rose for container garden in zone 6a

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I am looking for advice as a first time rose grower.
I would like to plant a climbing rose on. wall that gets very direct sunlight for most of the day, i have a 20" container (2-3 cuft of dirt) and would like recomendations for something easy to grow in a soft white or pink/peach color. Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @zfriend I wanted to welcome you to the forums :) As for advice on your rose choice - that is difficult as there are just so many.
What I would say is take a good look at the options from rose growers in your neck of the woods first to see what is easily available. You need to search patio roses, or miniature roses in the climbing sections. There are usually plenty online to pick from (well in the UK at least)
I would watch for those labelled ''disease resistant'' if I were you, and my own preference would be to look for perfume with single flowers to attract more bees and butterflies. It will then be your own choice that is most important. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello all, I am looking for advice as a first time rose grower.
I would like to plant a climbing rose on. wall that gets very direct sunlight for most of the day, i have a 20" container (2-3 cuft of dirt) and would like recomendations for something easy to grow in a soft white or pink/peach color. Thank you in advance!
Derek Fell has great books, I just read (actually!) his Vertical Gardening book, and it's very insightful and helpful for vertical gardening through containers and climbing. He also had a farm in PA, so his grow-zone was probably similar if not identical to yours. Good luck!

Ask a Question