Best cantaloupe for zone 8b?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd like to grow cantaloupe this year and am wondering if there's a particular variety that's best for my area in Southeast Coastal Georgia? And, on a different question, is there a better variety of morning glory seeds for this area? I love the big, blue flower type, but wasn't sure about them for Hinesville, GA.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'd like to grow cantaloupe this year and am wondering if there's a particular variety that's best for my area in Southeast Coastal Georgia? And, on a different question, is there a better variety of morning

I can't say I've done exhaustive research on the question on 8b cantaloupes, but I've tried a lot of them over the years and there is a clear winner in my book...Hale's Best Jumbo.

It's an heirloom variety with lots and lots of miles on it. Easy to grow, disease free pretty much, deserves to be called a muskmelon with its flavor and aroma. I've grown them up to about 4 pounds, very tasty.

However, my personal favorite melon is a hybrid of cantaloupe and honeydew and I call it Israeli melon also known as the Galia melon. It is incredibly sweet tasting and much smaller than the Hale's. Don't save the seeds and don't plant in proximity to other cantaloups for best results.

...And, on a different question, is there a better variety of morning glory seeds for this area? I love the big, blue flower type, but wasn't sure about them for Hinesville, GA.

Morning glories...I'll leave that to someone else. They cause me too much work in flower beds springing up in massive numbers here. If left untended they simply take over.

I'm not a fan...but cantaloupe that's what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go to Walmart and find out which variety of canteloupe they sell. Then do not plant that kind. Hair and biscuits have a better taste.

I'll second the Hales Best Jumbo but there is a disease in the soil here that won't allow me to grow that variety and at this point in time any other variety of canteloupe that I've tried.

Ask a Question